A Question

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Roy Martin, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Roy Martin

Roy Martin New Member

I am completely clueless when it comes to paintsand varnish but having wacthed the New yankee Workshop I was watching Norm using Shelac. Now I asked a friend what Shelac was and she said it was a glue (which I disagreed with) Also she said lacquer wasnt available in the UK as it is the American word for varnish. She is a painter by trade but it didnt seem right to me. I may be completely off base here but can anyone tell me what Shelac is and also Lacquer and where in the UK it is available.
    Cheers
    Simon

2. number 4

number 4 New Member

your friend is talking ****!! shellac is a natural product that forms the basic ingredient for french polish.it is actually extracted from an insect.
    french polishing is the way it is applied rather than what it actually is.it is not very hard wearing although does look superb.
    lacquer is ahard wearing alternative.precatalysed lacquer works by solvent evaporation and then by hardening by a chemical reaction. this can be sprayed or applied by polishers mop.
    i think cuprinol do lacquers now this would be easier for you to deal with than trade suppliers. also liberon, these should be available through diy stores

3. WOLF

WOLF New Member

tell your painter friend to go back to college and pay more attention to what's being taught..