AAV advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Burtbaggy, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Burtbaggy

Burtbaggy Member

Hi all
    Sometime ago I replaced a bathroom suite & during the process replaced the existing AAV for a new one as I noticed we were getting some nasty smells in the bathroom and the adjoining en-suite.
    Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to have rectified the issue & my thought is that perhaps the valve is positioned to low? I’ve attached a picture showing the valve.
    The valve is now boxed in & not easily accessible without removing tiles etc.
    I’m now looking to do some work to the en-suite which is the other side of the wall on the right as you look at the picture & wondered if I could put another valve on the horizontal soil pipe close to the en-suite toilet or does the AAV have to be only on top of the vertical soil/stack pipe?

Attached Files:

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Needs to be on a vertical pipe and accessible as they can stick open or closed sometimes

3. Burtbaggy

Burtbaggy Member

Thanks for this. But regarding the position of the existing valve, do you think it needs to be raised?
    Thanks

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Depends if it’s a1 or b1 rated, if b1 then it’s low but that should not cause an odour. You have allowed adequate ventilation to the boxing in ?

pppmacca43 likes this.
  5. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

As Abrickie says, some can be below the flood level some need to be above.