Access into the Gas industry Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by GasKate, Oct 1, 2018.

1. GasKate

GasKate New Member

Good Evening.
    I currently work for a large utility supplier (one of the largest employers of gas engineers in the uk)
    I am looking to go out on my own, service/repair/installations but when I completed my apprenticeship (3yrs) the company I work for had recently gone through a shake up of their training methods and qualifications, we were given qualifications that allowed us to work in the gas industry on their behalf, but they are not industry wide. I.e. I cannot take them away with me if I leave this business, this has been confirmed by the business, my union, my colleagues and numerous training centres.
    I've enquired to a few different training organisations who have all try to sell me on access courses NVQs btecs etc etc

I am just looking for a confirmation from anyone who does not have a vested financial interest as to what I would require to go out as my own gas engineer. I have relative experience and quite frankly I am a good engineer who can complete their ACS no problem.

Any reply's and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I don’t know all the rules, but my view is to discuss your issue with gas safe, to get there view on how to become registered and the way forward?

You have to satisfy gas safe, so start there

Regards
    Peter

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

many of the large companies that train their own employees operate the 'working under supervision method' Which is very different to a self employed 1 person business.

The gas Acs scheme has recently undergone substantial changes, new rules apply to training centers & operatives.

prior to leaving your company,photo copy your gas safe card and any certificates. This should be enough evidence to enroll on the experienced trades gas acs course rather than the new entrants gas acs course. then add acs modules as necessary.

some training centers do open days or you can visit them for an informal chat,

unfortunately the training & assessments will cost but then you will be able to apply to gas safe for your own card (more cost) and then operate independently.

maybe stay with your company ;)