Accessing upstairs windows for painting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jun 26, 2018.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

03F308AA-B05D-4194-8F68-376ED7D7610A.jpeg hi all
    Have a 3 upstairs windows to paint but not sure how best to reach them

Windows need a rub down, primer, undercoat, topcoat but no repairs, timber is sound but, need good access to carry out prep/painting

Obviously scaffolding is the answer, safest as well but the expense for just 2 small windows makes it hard to justify (although no price on safety I agree)

RH window also has a flower bed below which sticks out around 4’ so even a cantilever tower isn’t going to work (may well work on LH window

Lower porch roof juts out whole width of the house

Is there any other ‘safe’ option to gain access other than scaffolding chaps ?

This is a diy job so no issues re insurance/working from ladders,Etc, but yep, still wanna walk away after painting and not eating mushy food just yet :eek:

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you can "blag" Selco trade account, they were doing cherry picker hire for under £200 a week recently

3. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Looks like the porch roof is shallow enough to walk on.

4. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Old foam , mattress ,cushions to spread load on tiles and scaff boards on top , safety rope ( if you must ) from window

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do you live in Australia? Difficult to view picture as it's upside down.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Buy yourself a scaffold tower as an investment, Google 'Top Towers' and also do yourself a favour and move away from primer, undercoat and gloss and paint windows with Bedec Barn Paint, 2 coats in white semi gloss finish.....8 years protection............a real step forward!;)

WillyEckerslike and DIY womble like this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah not the best picture I agree (not my house) and taken from inside mates vehicle

Roof angle is steeper than it looks in picture, guess it’s 45 degrees-ish so don’t fancy simply walking on it. Also don’t know how brittle those cement tiles are gonna be

Have looked at hire shops for towers and also with cantilever platform but RH window has 4’ deep flower bed that starts from edge of roof line. So without wrecking his Mrs plants, edge of flower bed is around 8’ away from windows (horizontal measurement) A cantilever platform won’t span that far (not ones we’ve looked at anyway)

Sounds crazy but was considering a Youngmans Board/staging board resting on top of tiles where meets wall. Then supported by A frame step ladder or tower. Could clamp board to tower with large G clamps

Height from ground to tile/wall junction is around 2.9m..... seems a crazy idea ...... maybe ??

Cheers Astra .... you know me (not really but :)), I’m always recommending Bedec paints. Both Barn and MSP, used them both and fantastic products

Haven’t actually used the barn paint though for ‘traditional’ timber painting, ie windows. Only used on garden gate and fencing. May well go that route, especially as minimum prep and just a 1 part system instead of 3 parts - sounds ideal thanks

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Sadly Dave, a mash up that relies on G cramps won't be safe. They're no good at resisting lateral forces and twist out of shape too easily. By the time your mate has found and hired a cantilever tower that will suffice, a traditioal scaffolder will have finished creating something properly secure. Follow Astra's advice and spread the cost over more time.

Astramax likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's a job you are sizing up I hope you have good liability insurance as 'G' cramps will not be looked on to favourably in the event of an accident or other claim. Go for a scaffold, should be in the area of £250-£300 single height (bit cheaper for Arthur Ash) would also be enough to paint the fascia board, 2 days work for one man working off scaff.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks for above info guys

As I said, it’s a diy job between me and a mate so no insurance, liability, etc issues so there’s no problem with the legal side of the issue

Obviously not killing our selves is the main issue here, whilst being able to slap some paint on the windows in a safe and efficient manner

I just got the idea as seen last summer a pro decorator (sign written van) was decorating outside of small block of flats

Ground floor flats had railings to pavement then basement below

He spanned basement and railings by using a staging board sat on concrete window sills and trestle ? (Like a wide stepladder) other end. Both ends of board was secured with G clamps

I drove past him several times whilst he was working and he seemed to survive and complete the job :)

It’s not essential that I do this job, just helping out a friend in return for some good old fashioned bartering ;)

I knew that access would be an issue and yes, scaffolding is the safest / obvious answer

Thanks again

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When I used to catch people drink driving, so many people used to say I will be fine, I have never had an accident when I have had a drink. Sometimes you have to go to a home at tell a family the sad consequences of people not spending £25 on a taxi

I write this after spending 5 years recovering from a brain injury from a "minor" fall

its your choice at the end of the day

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. DIY womble

Sorry sospan didn't like to cut in after your important message....
    Dave is it practical for you to remove the windows and lean out ( rope attached )

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Feel free :)

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

15. DIY womble

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

17. DIY womble

Got my own harness but have used this method , in my world at £200+ for scaffold plus time to erect the job wouldn't get done

18. DIY womble