Accounting software

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by wiggy, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

Can anyone recomend accounting software for a mac.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

An abacus would be quicker.

3. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Try Sage accounting software

4. keith McIlvain

keith McIlvain New Member

Has anyone used quickbooks for a mac?
    What is the best for a start up?

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Not used it for Mac, but have been using it since the early 2000's in Windows. Mainly in my case because my accountant uses it and everything just works. For instance, nowdays i just have to add invoices/receipts on a sunday and by monday night i get an update from my accountant on tax going forward.
    I know these sort of things are small but it does give peace of mind and sometimes can make a difference in spending habbits that don't normally spring to mind. For instance, last september i bought a new van, new to me that is. It was at the time 2 and a half years old. The following day, Quickbooks showed me the tax implications of that purchase and how much exstra money would be in my pocket this year. Added bonus because my accountant and i use Quickbooks is that his yearly fees are really really cheep. That's because as long as i keep it updated weekly, the software itself does the job, so my accountant puts in very little time and fees.

6. keith McIlvain

I have used it on a PC a lot but never on a mac and that is the only machine I have now. Would like to be able to cross MS office to quick books and the software seems to misbehave... a lot. I am also looking into affiliate programs to produce residual income as the years have crept up and the body is breaking down.

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Tried using Clearbooks but being on the 'cloud' it was too slow to respond to changes, spent more time waiting for it to update than actually putting in data, even with a fibre broadband connection. I suspect this will be the case for many 'cloud' based programs. We eventually spent just under £7 on Sage Instant accounts, comes on a CD lives on your computer not someone else's, so it's quick. Found it on E bay.

8. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

You might want to look at http://www.gnucash.org/ which is available for Linux, Mac & Windows and is OpenSource.

9. keith McIlvain

Great information. this gives alternatives.
    are you guys doing the book keeping your selves or farming it out?

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

It dosn't really matter, legally we are all responsible for our own book keeping. What matters to me is keeping it nice and easy with as much input as possible.

11. keith McIlvain

Any ideas on collecting from those who are not paying and not responding or promising and making excuses as to why they don"t pay?