Accuracy making a router jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dewaltdisney, Dec 4, 2003.

1. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

I had difficulty yesterday making a jig to cut a number of stopped housing joints in a job I am doing. I measured the gap between the router guide bush and the cutter but I could not get a tight fit (ooh err Mrs) I kept reducing further jig cut outs by a gnats and by my third attempt I got an accurate guide. Once done I sailed through the actual job with a good fit on all the joints but I guess there must be an easier way to get the jig right first time.

Any suggestions?

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I make stopped housings, mortices etc by using a bush on the router base & make the jig from MDF.
    Another & possibly easier method is to use the M.A.C. mitre board (sold on QVC) which is designed to turn any circular saw or router into a radial arm with up to 24" wide cuts, housings, bevels, mitres or compound mitre cuts. To get accurate width cuts I mounted mine on a longer board & fitted a sliding stop to both sides. This way no matter how many housings you are cutting they will all be the same. I know its only plastic & costs about £40 but well worth it for its accuracy. Its easy to make a similar board but would only be able to take the one tool its made for.

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Thanks Dewey. I had a look on the QVC site and sussed out the jig you mention. I realise that I have not been thinking laterally enough on this and that creating a set of rails for the whole router base to run along is better than using the router guide bush method. I agree that £40 plus PP is a bit steep so I will make my own version of it first. If this is not satisfactory then I will probably end up buying from QVC.

Thanks for the advice

DWD

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I did the same. I had seen the jig demonstrated & made a temporary one from plywood with softwood guide rails.
    I was fortunate in that QVC had messed up one of my orders & took over a month to deliver the correct goods (5-7 working days they promise). They gave me a £15 rebate on my next order so I bought the MAC board for £25. Cant be bad :)

5. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Spot on.
    I wish I had a webpage to show how I did it.
    I made the base larger (to accomodate larger workpieces) & made the lower rails a lot longer so they not only kept the work square but could have stops fitted. This way, you cut all pieces at one setting then move the stop slightly to get the correct width of cut. Then measure for further housings & repeat. By this method, whether making 1 or 100, they are all the same.
    Gee. Heres me, a former toolmaker (disabled) who has decided to try woodworking after years of watching Norm Abrams on Discovery Home & Liesure. As my abilities drop, I find I need machinery to compensate, so use my old toolmaking ideas to make things easier. Making jigs is more time consuming than the actual workpiece but is very satisfying. Of course, Having my grandfather as a cabinet maker helped. I still use some of his tricks of the trade from the 1920s. :)

7. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Again Dewy,

I have not got a web site I just set up a Yahoo mailbox in my SFD I.D. and loaded up some pictures open to the public. It is a handy way of doing things but other users will now cotton on and Mr Moderator might blank them if someone posts a picture of their todger!!

I too have been inspired by Norm and I have learned a lot from the programmes. Now I have some time to do woodwork I have been on a steep learning curve as well as acquiring more tools. I think that the forum is an excellent way of picking up tips from people in the trade. I am great on theory but this does not work its way down to my hands!!

Sorry to hear of your disability but thanks for your help and advice

Best wishes

DWD