acrylic matt paint for interior wood

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by woodburner, Nov 25, 2008.

1. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hello,

I have used Wickes's acrylic matt undercoat paint on ceiling beams. I presumed that Wickes would provide an acrylic matt overcoat but they don't. The effect is fine and pleasing so do I have to use an overcoat? I haven't been able to find an acrylic matt overcoat anywhere.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

wb

2. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Is there such a thing as an acrylic matt overcoat or am I am asking a daft question?

wb

3. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

If you're happy with the finish, why bother?

4. polly222

polly222 Member

are you painting the beams black because i know you can get a matt black in oil based which you can get at crown or dulux centres.
    as for other colours im not sure i know you can get water based gloss but as i said im not sure about colours in matt. hope this helps polly

5. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hi P and BB,

The beams are to be white.

If there are no technical reasons as to why I shouldn't stick with it I will.

Cheers,

wb

6. Brushmanpaul

Brushmanpaul New Member

Wickes paint is rubbish its a bit like coloured water. I didn't know they did clothing as well! Ha ha!
    Seriously - if you leave it in undercoat the substrate wont be sealed and the moisture from you bathroom will be absorbed into the undercoat. You really ought to put a finish coat. if you want to keep it matt how about Matt Varnish (Acrylic). Dulux Diamond Matt is excellent.