Acrylic Prime Undercoat using on plaster

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Imran Aghayev, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Imran Aghayev

Imran Aghayev Member

Can i use Leyland Acrylic Primer Undercoat for a plaster ceiling (bathroom ceiling) ? I am confused cause on the back of the can it says to be used on timber. On the website it mention masonary as well. whoever used it and can advice, thanks a lot in advance !!

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use it as you would for a mist coat but only thin it by 20%.

3. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Had a weird case with this stuff recently.

A patch of paint had come off the wall, roughly 20 x 20 cm or so, exposing the plaster behind, you could say mist cost wasn't on probably but I probably used really strong tape

So I primed this and filled (if you like) this patch with this acrylic primer, undiluted

This patch area then kept swelling up when painted with final coat and I had to keep sanding down to even out edges...eventually thinly filled whole patch with tourpret then lightly sanded and painted over again

Maybe primer went off or I was supposed to dilute to seal plaster properly...strange

Anyway much cheaper to use contract matt for mist coat I suppose than this stuff, unless using a durable paint that requires a primer underneath like Tikkurila Optiva, I know that stuff don't like contract matt underneath

But as Astramax suggests he's the expert

4. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

Astramax...expert ?
    I though he was dead ?
    ;):D