ACS GAS RENEWAL

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by midlands heating, May 30, 2010.

1. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

gotta re-do acs' CCN1 + 4 appliances
    seen advertised somewhere doing this as a deal for 6 or £700
    anyone had experience of this deal or know of cheap deal.
    Times are tough and wanna keep costs down.
    Thanks in advance for any constructive replies !!

MH

2. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Just done mine dude,CCN1,CEN1,CKR1,CPA1,HTR1.£675.00.

Done at a local college,took 2 days,strait in assessment no training.

Most of the course providers will try to get you to do training which with assessment costs about £1800.00 and 4/5days loss of pay.

Trawl around,tell them how long youve been doin Gas and tell them you dont want training,straight into assessment,its all a load of money grabbing 6ollocs.

Good Luck

3. metaldust9

metaldust9 New Member

best place to go is hybrid technical in bootle liverpool very thorough good team also you mite no dave hickey from midland boiler services he does stuff there

4. midlands heating

thanks SB exactly same elements as I want. Hear what you say about the training. My only concern is am I up to date ?? might be an age thing but memory's a bit shot LOL

5. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Lets put it this way,my ACS will take me past retiring age,so dont woory on that score.

You need to find a sympathectic course trainer, speak to them and tell them you fears,\i,m sure theyll help you.

The chap that took me understood the pressure and was very helpful.

Go in with an open mind as tho you were on the job,tightness tests,ventilation all basics really and not designed to trip you up.

What part of the world are you?

6. midlands heating

mine will take me also to almost retirement 64 (will need 1 more) Maybe they will do old folks/pensioners acs by then LOL
    Thanks for replies
    live close to wolverhampton by the way

MH

7. metaldust9

metaldust9 New Member

bit daft really midlands if your close to retirment, there will be little you havnt seen in gas faults over the yrs i think they should have a system were gas safe come and check on you now and again when you been in the trade yrs like you rather that loads of mess doin ccn1

8. midlands heating

agree with that metaldust9 its all a money grabbing scheme aint it ??
    No other business has to do this every 5 years !
    local mechanic ould kill us just as easy if he * up brakes etc. yet once he done his apprenticeship/NVQ he qualified for life same with doctors etc. etc. so why just us. Maybe if we all stood together and said enufs enuf something could be done !!! Saying that there are some right plonkers out there and they gas safe to LMAO

MH

[Edited by: admin]

9. bit of advice 2

bit of advice 2 New Member

I am based in Bolton Lancs - i did ccn1 + four elements and flue gas analyser and part L, 1 days training to bring me up to date.

About £1100 i paid which was reasonable i thought.

10. metaldust9

metaldust9 New Member

yep ive been in this trade about 7 yrs working with gas people and plumbers and selling the stuff as well so picked loads up but on my course there were mechanics ,chefs,ect how can they possibly no what you no and have the same exam as you when you seen alkinds of daft little faults over they yrs like them drop leaver taps in old houses how do they no what to do with them cos would guess they think there ok cos there like a baynet on a cooker even tho there not and ye have to remove them or cap them off

11. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

you'll need the training now midlands,,cos they've stuck the fga on to it, :(. mines due next year, that'll be my last one, assuming i reach the finishing post, us old uns should get a disscount, bit like a bus pass :)

12. midlands heating

oh yea forgot that one been using my FGA years but oviously do not know how LOL what is this CO stuff CO2 sounds dodgy also there's an effeciency thingy. Roll on lets get this acs and then will know what to do LMFAO

MH

13. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

The one good thing about the FGA cert is....the bloke that took stated there is no need to take a boiler apart anymore cos if everything is correct as recommended an within tolerances,all I do now is stick the analyser in,clean condensate,check flue etc,leave print out,get paid and **** off to the next one.

Bg does it and get away with it so why cant we,I know some of the old school on here would disagree with me on this,but its as the training guy said,if it aint broke.

I can service alot more Boilers this way with no guilty conscience,its about time we benefitted from technology
    after all we,ve paid for it. Make as much as you can MH in as little time.

14. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

blobbie, we all know a boiler service is a (goin through the motions),exercise, but stripping the boiler and checking pressures, gives the appearance to the customer that they are getting something for the money, sticking a pipe up a hole and taking the money and running will loose you custom,

15. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Tom afraid I,ve moved on,that used to be my thinking.
    All I,m doin is joining the club,theyre all at it. I dont even get any dirt on my false eyelashes anymore.10 Boilers a day,home by 3pm,on * 3.05pm I,m lovin it.

[Edited by: admin]

16. smokeynets

smokeynets New Member

An FGA ain't gonna tell you that the electrode/ionisation probe is shagged is it.?
    Or that the heat exchanger is in good nick.

All An FGA does is tell you what the combustion is like.
    I can see the temptation, but if everyone starts following the old BG rule of servicing then we will be replacing boilers instead of replacing parts.

17. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Tell that to your mechanic,the next time you need a service on your car,cos all hes gonna do is stick an analyser up the exhaust and give a print out to say the car meets emission criteria. He,ll probably change oil,just like I inspect flues etc,and clean out condensate trap.

Difference is youll pay £400/500 pounds without quibbling,and so will everybody else.

So £40 quid up yer shirt for a gas service aint to bad.

18. coppercc

coppercc New Member

When I am with one of my gas safe mates and they are doing services it seems like easy money to me, not bad for £65 + vat. I personally believe the skill comes to the diagnosis when it ain't working.

I haven't a clue how the gas safe cc's can really diagnose faults without the years of experience.

19. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Loz, same way as ur doing plumbing work without the experience. If you are determined, and put your mind/brains to work, you'll be surprised at how much you can achieve. Rule of thumb, know where to draw the line!

20. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Loz been banned again then?