ACS next week and they've moved the goalposts!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PTFE, Apr 7, 2008.

1. PTFE

PTFE Member

I've finally taken the plunge to sit the ACS next week, and found out today BPEC have decided that the use and operation flue gas analysers is to be included in the CCN1 for the first time. The college where I'm sitting the exams only got told today!

Now I have no problems with the idea that newly qualified gas fitters should know how to use a FGA - in fact I queried why it wasn't on the course some months ago. But getting told it's been added to the test just a week before I sit it is a little annoying!

Ah well wish me luck :)

PTFE

2. screwhard

screwhard New Member

Piece of ****,All BG boys use them,and theyre THICK;)

3. PTFE

PTFE Member

Piece of ****,All BG boys use them,and theyre THICK;)

I know they're not exactly rocket science screwhard (thankfully!)

I just think dropping this into the CCN1 exam with little or no notice is a bit naughty. Had they said in January "FGA's will be in the exam as from April" I wouldn't have minded.

And I have a feeling the exam assessors will hurriedly flicking though the instruction book too :)

PTFE

4. screwhard

screwhard New Member

youll be ok,remember co,co2 and 02,fga does the ratio for you.carbon monoxide,carbon dioxide and oxygen,make sure you know the ratio.good luck

5. master

master New Member

I wouldn't worry about it my friend, you'll barely scratch the surface of FGA.s on the CCN1, all you will be required to do is take a CO reading and compare that reading to what the M/I of the appliance you test require.

6. PTFE

PTFE Member

Thanks Screwhard.

I'm not too concerned about it. I'm going to find out which FGAs they're going to have on site and download the instruction manual and have a quick look.
    I think not knowing how to switch the thing on won't get me off to a good start! ;)

I'm going to read up on the CO, CO2 and O2 acceptable ratios over the next couple of days.

PTFE

7. PTFE

PTFE Member

I wouldn't worry about it my friend, you'll barely
    scratch the surface of FGA.s on the CCN1, all you
    will be required to do is take a CO reading and
    compare that reading to what the M/I of the appliance
    you test require.

I agree Mantor, I can't see them going too deeply into it. There's enough to cover on the CCN1 without spending hours going through FGAs in detail.

Having said that I can't see the college owning more than one FGA and I've got a mate doing the test just before me, so I might just ask him to accidentally drop it! :)

PTFE