Add earth rod to existing house earth

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jfostern, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

A socket outlet is a wild card, none of us can predict what the unskilled or un instructed consumer will connect to it. You have correctly recognised that the CPC is not a benign conductor and it has the ability to introduce a potential difference into an area where a potential difference would otherwise not exist, the same is true of bonding.
    This is a typical example of the 'Dunning Kruger Effect' when we do not know what we do not know, until we know it. I am as guilty of the next man on this and I have recognised huge holes in my knowledge in the past.
    I spent half of my working life Lecturing in Electrical installation, my students were well informed and working for some of the best contractors I have met, it is from them that I have gathered my knowledge base, especially in the field of earthing as this is so crucial in the agricultural environments found in Shropshire.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    Ind spark likes this.
  2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

It comes under the heading of “Breaching zones” you can quickly easily do it the other way around by having a generator outside of a building and running a flex in from it to supply equipment, ending up with indoor equipment connected to two different earthing arrangements.

3. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

Yeah suppose you can't do anything about those situations.

4. jfostern

jfostern New Member

Coming back to basics…my understanding is that for a domestic power supply,and for the safety (life) of the person an earth fault should disconnect at a leakage of 30ma in 30ms!…is this an old wife’s tale?