Adding 13A socket to cooker circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rusty Gordini, May 23, 2019.

1. Rusty Gordini

Rusty Gordini New Member

Hello, as part of a kitchen makeover I’m replacing a slot-in gas cooker with a Neff built-in single oven, and a Russell Hobbs gas hob.

The oven is going into a new base unit and is rated at 2.99kW / 13A. It comes with a flex connection that plugs into the rear of the oven, and the other end of the flex has the three exposed cores with no plug.

I phoned Neff to see whether a 13A plug can be fitted, and the guy said that hardwiring the flex to a cooker outlet plate is preferable, but he went on to say that some electricians just put a plug on it.

The gas hob has a moulded 13A plug for the ignition and - I presume - for the no-flame cut-off.

We have a dedicated 30A cooker circuit, as originally fitted when the house was built 35 years ago. It runs from a Wylex CU (I replaced the rewirable fuses with MCBs) to an MK CCU with socket (which is used for a kettle). It then runs to the cooker outlet plate, which has been substituted for a 13A socket for the ignition of our gas oven.

Obviously, the easiest thing to do is to put a plug on the oven flex and fit a double socket in place of the single, but if hardwiring is preferable then we're looking at running a 13A socket from the outlet plate.

I don't want the aggro of running a spur from a wall socket, which is why I want to run from the cooker circuit. I’ve collated various bits of info on this, and I’m thinking to proceed as per the attached plan.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Cooker Circuit.jpg

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

OT - rusty gordini is an interesting moniker - you have one? R8?

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

There is no need for the 13A fcu. As you are attaching both appliances to the cooker circuit the outlet plate can stay as a single socket. Just wire another single socket next to it wired in 2.5mm2 (it will be easier to terminate than two 6mm2!) and leave it at that. The only thing being plugged in to it is your gas hob ignition which is negligible load so no issues.

Rusty Gordini likes this.
  4. Rusty Gordini

Rusty Gordini New Member

I wish! I used to sell Renaults in the '70s and '80s, so it's just a nod to that.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

R8gord was always one of those cars I hankered after.100hp in a 750kg rear engine sounded like fun. They're stupid money now as is anything interesting. I have a midget which does for me. Always liked small cars because you can have fun at slowish speeds. ( even now)

6. Rusty Gordini

Rusty Gordini New Member

Thank you for that, much appreciated.

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

So a 2.5mm T&E is ok on a 30/32A breaker ?
    Really ?
    RS

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Why not?

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes of course it is RS! Do you not know of the one unfused spur rule off a ring circuit? The problem, as I repeatedly find amongst a lot of electricians, they pretend to understand electrics but actually don't. They look at the Regs book but really have no understanding at all. In this situation we have a cooker circuit. A cooker circuit is capable of supporting diversified load of up to 15 kW. The cooker rating is well inside this and is being plugged in. The other appliance is negligible load, being for a spark generator on a gas oven. And you have the audacity to question that being ok? Your no electrician if you think there is something wrong.

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Yep, misread the thread whilst looking at something similar.
    RS