Adding a fallback heating pump to Solid fuel sytem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by david cooper123, Aug 2, 2018.

1. david cooper123

david cooper123 New Member

Hi, I have upgraded my Solid fuel boiler to 30KW and although i have relief valves etc i wonder if i could add a second circulation pump as a backup incase the current one fails.
    Ideally this would be wired so that when the first fails the power is diverted to the second, rather than running them both constantly.
    HAs anyone any ideas how to wire this up?
    THanks

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Should only be a heating engineer with solid fuel heating experience working on your system.
    You are also supposed to have heat leak of at least whatever the stove MIs state.
    As to a second pump, - no, you do not need that and anyhow what would happen in a power failure? Still requires to be safe without a pump running

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    When you say upgraded to 30kw, what sort of Boiler are you describing?
    When installing solid fuel boilers, there’s a way of thinking that’s needed.

Unlike gas or oil, you can’t switch a solid fuel boiler on and off!
    You have to allow for things going wrong,
    With gas and oil, you have switches and stats that turn off the fuel.
    Not so with solid fuel.

First, hot water to be gravity with a heat sink radiator in case the pump packs up.
    Second, the cylinder stat controls the pump, two reasons, it allows the fire to warm the flue and avoid condensation, and the cylinder stat will have priority hot water, then heating when hot water satisfied...
    I could go on...
    Regards
    Peter

Heat likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I am worried that the OP has installed his own solid fuel boiler.
    Also has to be a Hetas qualified installer in a lot of U.K.