Adding circuit breakers to workshop lighting?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by John 17121962, Nov 19, 2018.

  1. John 17121962

    John 17121962 New Member

    just moved into a new house and it has a great workshop in the garden.
    Previous owner said it is supplied from the house approx. 60mtr by 4mmm and 2.5mm swa BUT 4 small lighting circuits(2 inside ligting/2 outside) are on 1 20 amp mcb back in the house and if ever it trips all the lights in the workshop can go out.
    Question.Can a breaker ie an MCB be fitted on each of the 4 circuits to stop this happening ie on the each light cable.
    Is this an 'inline rroduct@ or is it simply getting an electrician to fita small consumer unit with 4 mcb's-dont know if an RCBO is needed as the consumer unit back in the house has one?
  2. PhilSo

    PhilSo Active Member

    Do you have a birthday coming up soon??

  3. HappyHacker

    HappyHacker Active Member

    The answer is yes but. Depending on what is causing the trip there may not be any/much fault discrimination between a lower rated MCB in the garage and the 20A MCB in the house. They will both see the same fault current flowing at the same time. A LED emergency light in the garage is a good idea if the tripping is causing a problem it will come on if the power fails. They are about £12 each depending where you get them from.
  4. John 17121962

    John 17121962 New Member

    Thanks mate-I don't think it trips all the time,just occasionally if a bulb blows-so no RCBO needed? -just correct rated mcb's in a unpopulated box wiring incoming and outgoing neutral to neutral bar and both live connections in the mcb? ie incoming/ougoing?

Share This Page