Adding double socket in garage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pabz0804, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Pabz0804

Pabz0804 New Member

Hi guys and gals, need some advice.
    I currently have a 2way CU in the middle of the garage (back wall) for lights and sockets.
    To the right wall I have a double socket then a second double socket coming of that one near the shutter.

I would like to fit another double socket on the left wall mid way down. What is the best way, all sockets would be about 3mtrs away from the CU.
    1. Wire new socket wire into MCB with existing socket wire
    2. Chase wire from second socket to new socket
    3. I need a new CU so should I get a 3way and just wire new socket to additional MCB

Thanx in advance

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

You do not need to change the CCU, the new socket may be taken from the CCU or from an existing socket. Why are you chasing? do it surface, with mechanical protection such as pvc conduit. This is notifiable work as it is effectively outside the house. How will you test your work when it's finished?

3. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

No it isn't anymore, this changed quite a few years ago.. Work outside is no longer notifiable unless it is a NEW circuit.

@Pabz0804 What is the rating of the MCB for the garage sockets? Are the sockets wired as a ring or a radial final circuit?

ajohn and seneca like this.
  4. Pabz0804

Pabz0804 New Member

@Bazza the two double sockets that run to the right of the CU is on a radial circuit connected to NSB16 MCB and I want to add another double socket to the left, dont know if I can feed it into the same MCB or have to run it of the last socket on the other side of the garage of if to get a 3way CU so separate MCB for the new socket

Thank you

5. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

As the circuit is a radial protected by a 16a MCB you can add another socket to any point in the circuit. Connecting the new socket at the Consumer Unit is OK.

Ensure that the circuit is protected by a 30ma RCD.

seneca likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

You haven’t said what you plan to run from the new circuit. Just bear in mind that the total maximum load on that circuit is limited to 16amps.

it may be less than that, depending on where the feed to the outbuilding originates from.

7. Pabz0804

Pabz0804 New Member

Thanx guys.

This is the consumer unit I have
    MK metal 2way
    BS 7671 IET Amendment 3. BS 61439-3
    • 1x 63A 30mA RCD incomer
    • 2x 6kA SP type B MCBs (1x 6A, 1x 16A)
    • 1x 63A 30mA RCD incomer

I'll actually be having 3 double sockets away from each other so now wonder if all can directly go to the MCB

Socket one has electric shutter plugged to 24/7.
    All other socket are just for convenience, like backwell socket would be used for for lawn mower, right front one has garage shutter then I may also use karcher washer and the one on the left side by bench would be to charge things etc... so I dont think that would be overloading but your input would be very greatfull