Adding Guttering and Water Butt to Shed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by markenglish82, Sep 6, 2021.

1. markenglish82

markenglish82 Member

Evening All,

I have recently had a workshop fitted on my garden and now want to add guttering, which leads into a WaterButt.

Looking at the majority to Water Butt kits, they all come with an adaptor to divert some of the water into a Butt, but not all of it, leaving some rain water to continue down the Downpipe, into the ground.

I want my Downpipe to go straight into the Water Butt, but I seem to be finding it difficult to find some form of connector to join the Downpipe and waterbutt up.

Coukd anyone please offer some advice/maybe even a picture?

Thanks I'm advance
    Mark

2. Could you not drill a hole the exact size of the Downpipe either in the top or the side of the butt and just direct it in to that? It won’t take long to fill up though and then it will overflow.

3. markenglish82

markenglish82 Member

I was hoping to do that but the Downpipe sits flush against the shed and the waterbutt, even up against the shed, is not fully flush. Ideally, I need some form of flexible pipe to go from the Downpipe to the Butt

Thanks

4. Cant u use some fittings? 45 or 90 degree bends

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The rainwater diverter kit for water butts comes with a flexible pipe and connector to attach to the water butt for this very reason - ie, ‘most’ water butts are round so don’t sit tight up to shed

Some water butts come with a pre-drilled hole/holes for this connection, some with a perforated hole that you push out the plastic disk whilst others, you have to drill yourself

The idea of the divertor is that 100% of the collected rainfall will be fed to the water butt, via this flexi pipe, up to the point that the butt is filled up - or reaches the level
    of the flexi pipe

The rainfall will then be ‘diverted’ back to the downpipe and exit wherever this leads to

The diverter kits come with full instructions on how to fit and all the parts you need, you measure the height of the water butt and instructions show you where to cut the downpipe, removing a section and inserting the diverter

Depending on the size of the roof, and the water butt, and the amount of rain, it’s remarkably easy to fill the butt so you need a system that once full, the water can be drained away via the downpipe - otherwise it will simply overflow

If you really insist on running downpipe direct into water butt, then you need 2x 112degree bends and a length of downpipe -you can then get the distance you need to get pipe into water butt

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-112-5-round-offset-bend-black-68mm/12213

6. Diy Daz

Diy Daz New Member

I did my shed as described above last year, it only goes down the drain pipe if butt is full.

For my shed my handy hint is not to buy normal larger guttering used on proper roofs. but to buy the cheaper guttering, think mine was from Wickes. That was easier to fit and caught water better. The larger guttering by time you added brackets was too far away from end of the shed felt.

7. Diy Daz

Diy Daz New Member

Actually rethinking I got that the wrong way round ! Dont buy the shed guttering buy normal cheaper roof type guttering. The smaller guttering was too tight to the shed with the small brackets.