Adding sockets direct from the consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mike Robinson, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson New Member

If I added two double sockets directly from the CU from the existing socket mcb, am I breaking any laws or intervening any rules and regs? I was thinking of radial rather than ring.
    Also I would like to add a ceiling light too, same scenario but from the lighting mcb.
    All help appreciated.
    Thanks Mike

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Spur off a spur. You could run 2 spurs from the MCB but end up with 4 cables at the CU, not the best practice although I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

This was once called 'Electricians talk'

Adding a new circuit from the board will require testing as current LABC and an EIC

if its spurred from the existing Breaker then minor works will be provided when your sparks installs it

There ONE set of regs that are used for this work either if done by an electrician AND if you are a DIY'er

And don't say it will be signed off by a spark after because that's not the correct procedure either.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  4. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson New Member

Thanks for your replies. I was just wanting to know if I could legally do the work myself as the sockets I would be adding are in the same room as the CU and would be about 2 metres away from the CU and I would use conduit to hide the cable and I wouldn't be saying it would be signed off by an electrician.

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Mike what is it your wanting to do? Your not really making yourself clear. Do you want to add a spur off a ring? Or do you want to add a spur directly from the mcb in the CU? As stated, you can't spur off a spur.

6. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson New Member

I want to add a double sockets directly from the MCB from the CU. I thought I could just spur off the sockets MCB. The sockets will feed a computer and printer.

7. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Mike, unless you are a qualified electrician you are not allowed to open a CU, but many people do ,but when you come to sell your house you will not have the legal paperwork to satisfy the solicitors acting for the purchaser. However as most CU's could be opened by a five year old with a toy screwdriver and are sold in retail "sheds" when a tradesman would buy one at a trade outlet and get trade discount you will see that the £5000 potential penalty for breaking the Part P regulations is not taken very seriously by many people.
    Your job is such an easy job for an electrician and would not cost you much. Why deny him his livelihood?

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Mike whilst other points raised are valid you can (if you must) run a new wire off an existing mcb, yes.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes UP,
    and Mike, you don't have to be a qualified electrician to be "allowed" to open a consumer unit!

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Nor do you have to notify the job

seneca likes this.
  11. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson New Member

Thanks for your replies.
    I have added my sockets and light into the cupboard. I connected a socket from the MCB marked "sockets", then wired my next socket and returned the wire back to the MCB. For the light I connected it to the MCB marked "downstairs lights". I ran the wire from the CU to the ceiling rose, then ran a wire to the switch.
    Everything is working ok.

12. camels toe

camels toe Member

So to get this right some off you's are saying it's ok to run a cable from the "socket mcb" to feed another 2 sockets?
    So if the op has a 32a mcb ring main your saying it's ok to run a cable (2.5mm t&e) to feed 2 sockets let's call it a radial circuit from this 32a mcb. Really???

BigEverz likes this.
  13. sparky Si-Fi

Certainly not from me pal. .

FYI not such reference to a 'Ring-main' in regs, ring final. . .yes

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not at all, he can run one single or one double socket outlet or one piece of fixed equipment, usually via a fused spur. If he put's a fused spur directly from the mcb he can then run as many sockets as he likes from it.

15. rd1

rd1 Member

Seneca,
    just to help increase my knowledge, I understand your post 14 above, but the op has not provided a fused spur from the MCB (has he?) but he has added another ring circuit, not the original radial circuit he proposed in his first post.
    I get the radial from the MCB and that it would be protected from the 13 amp spur but doing it the way he has, could the second ring circuit potentially overload the MCB?

16. camels toe

camels toe Member

*** all old school sparks knows same thing

17. sparky Si-Fi

How many double sockets in total has been added?

How many Live cables in total are coming from that breaker?

If you have made a mini ring final circuit you will have 4 cables in total

if this is the case to all the above it's a bridged ring, bad installation practice and a risk of loose connections at the breaker terminal

Should have isolated, tested existing circuit for continuity,extended the ring final, retested certified and invoiced (thats how an electrician would do it correctly and neatly)

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

He wired them as a ring circuit I believe, so, yes its satisfactory.

Si, its okay if wired as a ring from the mcb. It would be better if he has identified the two separate rings but doubt if he has.

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You could run two rings off a single mcb - shonky but do-able. Unlikey to overload unless you plug in 20 electric fan heaters and 20 kettles all at the same time.

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi Col. A circuit can consist of multiple rings and radials. Not good practice for a multitude of reasons but safe. Worst that can happen, mcb trips. As long as the individual sections of the wiring are rated for the mcb protecting them that's fine. Another limiting factor will be the capacity of the terminal on the mcb to satisfactorily tighten all the wires.