Adding Sockets To The Loft

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DoubleARon1878, Sep 10, 2021.

1. DoubleARon1878

DoubleARon1878 New Member

Hi Guys,

I am planning on getting my loft boarded and making a little cinema room for my 2 sons and me and just wondered what the easiest way of getting sockets added up there will be?

I have had a decent ladder and light switch added already, not sure if it is a good or bad thing but the guys who installed the light just linked it to my landing light below, it means I have to have my landing light switched on otherwise the loft light doesn't come on, it doesn't bother me at the moment.

I am hoping there is an easy way of adding 1-2 double sockets up there, thanks in advance for your help and advice.

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

The light wire sounds like it has been connected to the wrong terminal and should be a very easy fix, the sockets can be taken from the room below and that is a easy job .just needs a 13 amp connection fcu connected to a double socket and run to the loft sockets..

DoubleARon1878 likes this.
  3. DoubleARon1878

i persumed this was just the easiest way of them adding the light for me? they said from the off the loft light would need to be linked to one of the lights and therefore means the downstairs needs to be on then there is a seperate switch at the top of the ladded to switch the lift on/off.

4. spirits are real 2016

Can you post a photo of the landing rose wiring so we can see better it might be just moving one wire to another terminal..

5. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

Probably no permanent.

6. DoubleARon1878

thank you for your reply, sorry for the novice response but could you elaborate on this a little, at the moment i have some CCTV cables running into the loft from outside which lead down into my son's fitted wardrobe which then go through the wall into my bedroom to our CCTV set top box, i could follow this route but 2 questions really,

what is the best set up in my room can i just unscrew my bedroom socket and run a 2nd set of cables from that and follow the CCTV cables back into the loft? and if so what is the best way to keep the set up tidy, if i have to have a cable popping out of my bedroom socket then leading to the loft then fine but is there any better ways to keep it neat?

also at the other end once back in the loft can i just have the cable lead to a back box and attach a double socket to the wall?

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Try to keep some distance between cctv cabling and mains whichever way you decide to proceed, it can, not always though, introduce interference on cctv images.

DoubleARon1878 likes this.
  8. spirits are real 2016

Where abouts in the country are you..

9. DoubleARon1878

Liverpool, Merseyside

10. jimbobby

jimbobby Active Member

Anyone mentioned the attic floor is not usually designed for a living area...............just light storage.
    j

11. Yes I got told it was a big no no to try and make a usable room on loft boards... I am in a new build though where they build the roof with enough strength to support the roof and 4.5 drops of snow haha

12. DoubleARon1878

i asked the question already and was told as long as its not going to be used as a home gym its fine, not sure if it matters either but the floor will be raised as er guidelines not just sitting on the joist etc

13. DoubleARon1878

i asked the question already and was told as long as its not going to be used as a home gym its fine, not sure if it matters either but the floor will be raised as er guidelines not just sitting on the joist etc i am in a new build also :)

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As mentioned above ,you need to establish if your joists are strong enough to support what you intend to do. Running some sockets is the easy bit.
    Who told you they are ok ?

15. DoubleARon1878

the plan is as well as my normal stored items like christmas stuff etc to have a Tv and gaming console and 2 bean bags, so the only additional weight will be maximum, me my 2 sons and a tv and gaming console.

it was the loft company that advise it would be safe as long as no gym equipment etc

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Loft company ? Has the loft been converted in some way ?

17. DoubleARon1878

no nothing has been done yet apart from a ladder and light switch up there, the company offered to add a raised floor which is where i am at right now, not sure whether to but would like to as long as i can get a tv/console and some bean bags up there at least.

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Your not making very clear what exactly this " loft company's" involvement is ,other than they offer to install a raised floor ,but if they are doing any work for you ,I would expect a company that does loft conversions to be able to arrange sockets to be fitted for you ?
    If you have only just sought their advice as to the strength of the joists ,and they are not actually doing any work , then fair enough, back to your electric supply..
    Is the socket that you intend to pick up a supply from ,a socket on a ring final circuit , or is it a spur ?

19. DoubleARon1878

apologies i will try clear it up, the company where brought in to simply fit a loft ladder and a switched light up there, while there they gave me a quote to board the loft incase i ever wanted it doing at a later date, they however are unable to offer the service of fitting a socket for me, i persume they are not insured as electricians or something but i am a massive novice to this so not 100% sure.

as i said sorry massive novice, how would i know if its on a ring or spur? its the standard socket on the wall fitted by the builders

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Thanks for explaining . You would need to do some testing at the donor socket to establish its status / if you can run a spur from it.
    I notice you are in Liverpool ,I am too .