Adding spur sockets in the the garage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sturge8, Oct 20, 2021.

1. We are assuming it's a ring because of the size of the mcb, however they might have put in a radial on an oversize mcb, or used 4mm

2. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

Here's the photo of my home consumer unit, in the centre it does say RCD protected. My proposed junction boxes will situate at the top of the garage wall (not ideal height for a double socket), then I intend to cable down 1.5 metres to each spur socket. Does the picture of my consumer help?
    House consumer unit.jpg

3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If the labels on the consumer Unit are correct then your garage is being supply is on a 16A MCB and is RCD protected.
    In your garage the sockets are supplied on a 32A MCB. So this will never operate before the 16A MCB.
    Poor design that needs sorting out.

4. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

Is it safe to fit the two spur sockets?

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Done correctly it won’t make anything already there any worse.

6. I agree it's poor design but can understand why it's been done. Diversity/demand is 100% for first ring circuit then 40% thereafter. So that takes the ring circuits to 48amp. It's 100‰ for heating circuits (water heater) which takes it to 64 (based on circuit breaker and not the actual heater which we don't know the wattage of), so that only left 16amp for the 80amp rcd. Would have been better with an rcbo on the non rcd side. But the extra sockets can be put in, however not much power will be able to get pulled from them without tripping the mcb.

7. Yes, but you will be limited to what you can run off the sockets at the same time as you only have a 16amp mcb feeding the garage from the house consumer unit.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

SWA looked thin to me, maybe 2.5mm 2-core

9. Sturge8

Sturge8 New Member

Thank you.