Adding ventilation through concrete slab

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Riri87, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Riri87

Riri87 New Member

Hi all,

Im trying to get some ventilation to a suspended floor in our kitchen at the back of the house. Theres good ventilation at the front of the house and some of the back.

unfortunately the previous owners built a small extension in the kitchen with a concrete slab butted to the suspended floor with no through vents for air to ventilate. The timbers arent in contact with the concrete but id still like some ventilation.

The extension is a bit of a bodge with concrete directly on earth/dirt. See pic.

its not a huge area so full excavation is possible to relay a suspended floor however id rather not.

would it be possible to excavate 2 or 3 strips through concrete to the external wall, install air bricks and then run ducting and telescopic vents into the subfloor. I can then fill the chases with concrete.

Does that sound reasonable? Is there anything i should be aware of or should i just excavate the whole thing?

Attached Files:

2. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

hi
    it would be a shame not to redo the concrete floor with some trunking at below floor level.
    to vents, and screed on top

looks like a major refurbish, don't spoil it for a few hours work to fit the vents, and renew the concrete floor
    it will be there a long time !

good luck
    peter