Additional Aerials +

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lee, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Lee

Lee New Member

I want to boost my tv aerial signal, add 2 more points to bedrooms and be able to link them up to the dvd/video player & the hi-fi. I need to be able to use different functions at the same time eg. watch satalite in 1 bedroom & dvd from family tv in another bedroom while watching normal tv in another.

I also need to be able to controle the sound seperatly in each individual room.
    Does anyone know what equipment I need & any good/bad makes? Where do I buy them from?

I need a system with some capacity to expand with in the future (when I add another 3 bedrooms to the system & link up to a couple of computers etc)

2. Beanzy

Beanzy New Member

TV aerial boosting depends on how much noise is in the signal. Keep in mind the future switchover to DTT so probably best to get the aerial sorted for this now. This means a proper alignment and aerial choice. May need a Margin Rising Device (aerial mounted amplifier) which will be powered(12v DC)via the cable form a power injector. Best get this done professionally. Try www.cai.org.uk for installer.

However the remainder of the system is not too hard to sort yourself. Use foam-filled cable if poss as doesn't kink or crush as easily as air-spaced.

8 way 'LoftBox' or 'AtticBox' will take TV, Satellite, DAB +1 other RF source and mix them for distribution. The Sat signal gets sent to the livingroom combined with the other signals, where it is split out by a diplexing wall-plate. The Sat decoder gets the IF feed and powers the LNB in the normal way via the incoming cable. You take the TV (RF) signal and deliver it to your living room kit in the following order, DTT receiver, VHS,Other kit, SKY decoder. Sky box RF out #1 goes to the TV and RF # 2 to the Return cable via wallplate.

To get DVD player output to system you will need one which has an RF loop through or you will need to get a seperate RF modulator with a loop through.

The return goes into the LoftBox and all signals are available to all TVs. You will need to make sure that none of your kit is modulating its' signal to the same channel as any normal channels from the transmitter, nor clashing with any other pieces of kit, or you will get co-channel interference. The LoftBox or AtticBox system comes in 4 or 8 room sizes for expandability.

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/loftbox.htm
    http://www.televes.com/ingles/asistencia/flash/atticbox/attixRev4.html

3. nigel

nigel Guest

FYI The combi dvd/vcr's have loop thru rf , I use at home to allow dvd to be watched simultaneously in three rooms.

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

beanzy got it covered, i will not open my mouth other than to say...Labgear!!

5. Lee

Lee New Member

Fantastic, thanks very much all of you.

6. seavigil

seavigil New Member

7. Caveman

Caveman New Member

One point - since DVD players rarely have a loop-through one way round this is to use the AV channel on your old vcr - dvd scart to vcr scart in, vcr scart out to tv/antenna amplifier, whatever. Do bear in mind that this will only give you MONO sound to the outlying tv's. Another alternative is the wireless video senders - these will give you a stereo signal to play with and can therefore be used to distribute music also!