Additional consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lamaar756, Jun 13, 2018.

  1. lamaar756

    lamaar756 New Member

    Please don't bite, im just after some advice prior to getting the work done, so I know what it entails.

    My main consumer unit in my house is old, I have had an electrician look at it before and he said upgrading it was a big job. The house is old, three storey's and has masses of cables. He said if one of the circuits wasn't earthed right then the RCD would just flip.

    From this, I have an armored cable which runs into another smaller old unit which is situated in my garage. My wife wants me to convert the garage so she can run a business from there.

    The unit in the garage is currently has two fuses, one for lights and one for sockets. There is one free. It is connected to the unit in the house with a 30amp fuse.

    My wife want to use a shower in the garage, this would require a 40amp fuse with RCD.

    Would I be looking at running another cable from the house straight to the shower unit; or;
    Could I upgrade the 30amp fuse on the main circuit board which feeds the garage and then use the free slot on the garage unit?

    I do have a new consumer unit which is sat nothing, would it be best to use this in the garage?

    Any advice welcome.
  2. robertpstubbs

    robertpstubbs Active Member

    Don't really know where to start on this - but size of existing cable would be a limiting factor.
  3. robertpstubbs

    robertpstubbs Active Member

    My ex likes in Scotland. I've got some reels of Cat5 in the loft. Could I run this along the M1 to power a new shower for her?
  4. retiredsparks

    retiredsparks Well-Known Member

    You are not going to solve this problem on here.
    You need a good local contractor.
    Get an EICR done and work from there with any remedial work done.
    Tell the contractor what you are proposing at the start.
  5. Pollowick

    Pollowick Well-Known Member

    Anything and everything is possible! But as to the feasibility at your location - no idea.

    You really need to bite the bullet and pay for it all. Or get the wife's business to pay as the upgrade will be for the benefit of the business and the domestic CU upgrade may be needed to facilitate the garage update.

    Get an electrician to quote split the supply and run to the existing CU which he will upgrade and a new (if currently underrated) cable to the garage and an upgraded CU there.
  6. robertpstubbs

    robertpstubbs Active Member

    You could contact the Home Office for advice on beds in sheds.
  7. lamaar756

    lamaar756 New Member

    Ok, thanks all. The cable to the garage is 16mm, so I think it large enough for what she would use.

    I will try and find another electrician but the last one I had said he didn't want the job! Cant give money away these days

    In terms of the EICR I think I had one done when I bought the house, so I will try and dig it out.

  8. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    How do you know that? How did you measure it?
    A cable calculation needs to be done catering for the combined load.
    Distance from the power intake to the garage is a BIG factor.
    Electric showers are very power hungry, plus you have other needs for her business (what is it?)
    Don't forget heating as well as other stuff.

    You need a registered electrician to do the design and to carry out the (notifiable)works.
    You'll not get that from an Internet forum.

Share This Page