Adhesive for attaching sink to granite worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by fragus, Oct 22, 2010.

1. fragus

fragus New Member

I have a Franke 1 1/2 sink that should be attached to a granite worktop (it's not now) I have the clips that should have been used but what is the best adhesive or sealer to use around the sink?

Help would be greatly appreciated

2. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Fraqus, A lot of granite companys do'nt like to use the clips that come with an undermount sink. For some reason thet are not happy about drilling the granite,

They company that i use prefers me to build a framework within the sinkbase to "carry" the sink. Then the top surface of the sink is flush with the underside of the granite.

I believe the sealant they use is a silicone one.

Hope this is of some help.

Snezza30

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Yup! Build a support frame and silicon in place.

4. russ295

russ295 New Member

I normally fit a18mm ply panel to make the top of the unit solid (if it isn't already). Mark around the sink and cut About 10mm in. Work top just drop over. Granite fitters I know just use silcone to seal. I am sure i read on here once that a g/fitter just silconed the sink in and once set, climbed onto the tops and stood in the sink to prove it could hold a sink full of water.

Russ

5. the best (probably)

the best (probably) New Member

good quality silicon will hold undermount sink,if left overnight,to (go off).fitted loads,never had any probs.

6. ticallion

ticallion New Member

i would use sika flex adhesive

7. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

blu tack. . . .