Adjustable Butt Hinges for uPVC Doors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by polybear, Nov 1, 2009.

1. polybear

polybear Member

Hi,
    Our Anglian front door is prone to sticking at different times of the year (shallow footings, clay soil...). It's most likely the frame going out of square a little - the door sticks at the top, on the lock side. It's an unglazed door (apart from a small glass right at the top). It's fitted with 3 brass butt hinges, each with round corners. The butt hinges are very similar to those you'd use when hanging a wooden interior door to a timber frame (there are "Butt" hinges for uPVC doors that bear no relation to these).

I've been searching for a replacement hinge (ideally a direct swap) that has some degree of vertical adjustment, but without success. Any thoughts/suppliers much appreciated please!

p.s. I know one way would be to get the frame squared up, but this is a pain and when the weather changes it'll probably start sticking at the bottom...

Many thanks.
    Brian

2. Doink

Doink New Member

My guess is that if its got similar hinges to a wooden door then you have a pre hung composite door,these look a bit more like a wooden door from a distance and if im right these have no up/down left/right adjustment same as any doorset,its all in the fitting,have a look here to see the type i mean....

http://www.distinctivedoors.co.uk/categories/79-composite-pre-hung-door-sets

Or if your lucky enough you might have these although they dont look like the hinges you've described

http://www.lairdsecurity.co.uk/Datasheets/Challenger%20Door%20Hinge/Challenger%20Hinge%20Composite%20Technical%20Information.pdf

3. polybear

polybear Member

Hi,

Yes, that's the type of door. And no - they're not the hinges I've got (wish they were!)

Many thanks.
    Brian

4. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

5. Doink

Doink New Member

They look the closest match but still no adjustment on em.
    Personally i think you'll struggle to find a butt hinge that you can adjust that fits your door

6. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

take the panel out and toe and heel it properly. wedging your panel tight from bottom hinge corner to opposite top corner.that will solve it dropping all the time

7. Doink

Doink New Member

spot the deliberate mistake

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Tightening some and slackening other screws(packing and retightening) on hinges might help, but did you mean it is sticking at the top(above) or near the top(at the side) ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

i mnow the hinges you are after as i have them on my front door and they look like the hinges i linked to but have a allen screw in the bottem to raise or lower the door

10. polybear

polybear Member

Thanks for the replies.
    The door isn't fitted with any removable panels, so heeling and toeing isn't an option unfortunately. The door starts to stick at the top of the door, in the middle and on the lock side. I've previously packed the hinges etc. but any more and the side of the door starts to hit the frame on the lock side.

Those butt hinges with the allen screw adjustment sound what I might be looking for - do you have any more info on them please?

Many thanks.
    polybear

11. ivymic

ivymic New Member