Adjusting Soil Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ethoen, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Ethoen

Ethoen New Member

Hi all,

The soil pipe coming down from the bathroom in the loft is fowling on the guttering, causing the guttering to sag (see photos). I've rung round, but no-one locally appears to be available to take on the job at the moment. Is this something I can adjust myself?

Thanks in advance

IMG_5631.jpeg IMG_3539 2.jpeg IMG_5403.jpg

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

nothing wring with the soil pipe

unclip the guttering, move the gutter bracket up a bit, clip gutter back on and job done. take about 15 minutes max if you climb out of the window

just pumps likes this.
  3. Looks like the soil pipe is resting on the guttering and deforming it slightly, moving the gutter bracket isn’t going to change that.
    Looks like the soil pipe is pushfit so should move, I would try twisting it slightly so it’s just enough to not foul the gutter. I suspect when it was put in it was missing the gutter but has moved or dropped over time.

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Another who cant see where it is touching the gutter from the photo.

5. Ethoen

Ethoen New Member

Thanks for the replies. I've attached a couple more photos showing the soil pipe touching the gutter

IMG_5638.jpeg IMG_5640.jpeg IMG_5644.JPG

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  6. Ethoen

Ethoen New Member

Thanks, I'll give twisting the soil pipe below the junction a go.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  7. Hopefully will work and save u some time. If not it may need a little rejig but I’d try that first.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Odd way to run the soil pipe. Ugly looking too.

9. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Agree, also if it has moved once then whats to stop it moving again.

Ethoen likes this.
  10. Garak112

Garak112 Member

The one from my loft extension runs like this too, no way to run it inside without losing quite a lot of space in a small room below and no soffit to drop through.

Looks weird but you can't see it from inside

Ethoen and Deleted member 246321 like this.
  11. Probably no other way to run it from the position it’s in and the position of the external stack

Ethoen likes this.
  12. It may move back, but hopefully not. It might not even be able to move at all away from the gutter. But….It’s Worth a try for what will take 30 seconds and If not it will need a little rejig like I said. Got to be worth a try.

13. Looking at the photo I think if it won’t move then this short stub of socketed pipe just needs to be a little longer. So should be an easy enough fix if needs be

Attached Files:

14. Ethoen

Ethoen New Member

Thanks pppmacca43, I’ve attempted twisting but no joy. I’ll have a look at replacing that short stub of socketed pipe with a slightly longer one. As it’s push fit, I guess it’ll pry apart with enough force? (Hopefully without covering me ‘soil’)

15. Haha it shouldn’t cover you in soil lol. Sometimes they come apart fairly easily, but depending on if grease was used it may not unfortunately. If whoever fitted it used washing up liquid this can dry out and make it quite difficult to get apart.
    You won’t know till u try how hard it is to pull apart.