Adjusting veneer doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Smudge01, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Smudge01

Smudge01 New Member

I've been asked to fit self closers on these doors, however, they don't actually close properly. I can't take anything off them as they are veneer finish.

They don't appear to have dropped on the hinge, and there's nothing obvious that I can see that would cause this problem, so I'm not sure why they don't close any more.

Has anyone come across this before, and can you offer any advice please?

Than you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. I-Man

I-Man Active Member

you need to identify exactly where the doors are not fitting right. Could be binding on the hinge edge, or top frame etc..

Use something like a filling knife or even a credit type card and feel all around the door to see where it's getting stuck

Smudge01 likes this.
  3. Smudge01

Smudge01 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I should have explained in more detail.

Where the doors meet, they are fine from the top of the doors to the middle, but then from the middle of the door (where they meet) down to the bottom, one slightly overlaps the other by about 5mm.

4. I-Man

I-Man Active Member

So perhaps the overlapping door needs the bottom hinge moved back slightly...unless of course it's the door that's bowed/bent (unlikely)

Smudge01 likes this.
  5. Smudge01

Smudge01 New Member

Sorry my bad explanation again. The door aren't bowed, they won't close because of the overlap. The gap at the top half of the doors are fine (if they could close), it's the bottom half that's preventing them from closing.

6. I-Man

I-Man Active Member

maybe you can share a few more pics showing the issue in more detail?

7. Smudge01

Smudge01 New Member

Fair point.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They are veneer faced but surely to God must be able to be planed, there should be a solid timber lipping around the edges, whip the master door off and look at the top and bottom, if it's obvious then take the 5mm off, the edge will obviously need refinishing.

Smudge01 likes this.
  9. Smudge01

Smudge01 New Member

Thank you.

How would you re-finish the veneer?
    Won't the veneer chip, in the same way as if you were to run a planer along the edge of a laminated worktop?

10. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

The faces are veneered, the edges are solid. Either trim the door with a sharp plane, a planer or a router with a straight edge.