Advice before getting the professionals in

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gb_gb_gb, Dec 30, 2016.

1. gb_gb_gb

gb_gb_gb New Member

Morning All,

Just wondering if I could get some advice so when the professional come in to quote we are not confused by what they say.

We are having our kitchen remodelled, appliances being moved and sockets moved aswell. We are not having fitted appliances, just normal appliances you can move in and out. Do we need to have switches above the worktop for them? or can we just have a switched socket behind them.

Currently we have a switch for the washing machine, and dish washer above the worktop and we thought if we could get rid of them it would just make it look a bit neater.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No need if the appliances are not "built in" and are easily moved for access to the plug.

Doall likes this.
  3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It is best to have the socket mounted in the base unit next to the appliance. You can then just reach in and unplug it. As seneca says there is no requirement to have switches mounted above the work top its just a way of doing it.

4. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Cookers need hard wiring don't they ?

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No mention of cookers, just appliances. But, yes they do.

6. I thought some (bosch and neff spring to mind) come with a power lead with a plug fitted for a normal socket?

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes there are exceptions to the rule. Some manufacturers do allow their single oven appliance to be plugged in to a standard 13A socket.

8. gb_gb_gb

gb_gb_gb New Member

thanks for the feedback.

just to confirm, cooker will be hard wired thats not moving.
    As 'unphased' said "just appliances"

Looks like we have a couple options then, so thats good news. I shall see what the electrician says, at least I have a bit of knowledge before they turn up and wont look as stupid when I ask questions.

Probably have to lean to the having the socket behind the appliance rather than in the cupboard next to them, as the cupboard next to them are all drawers so guessing there wont be space. But we will see when they turn up.

Once again, thanks! :)

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Hi UP, have you come across any plug in hobs yet? I've fitted several of them recently and the customers seem very pleased with them, I was surprised when I first saw one considering most hobs were usually rated at 6-7 kW !

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No mate, not so far. Looks like its only a matter of time, lol.

seneca likes this.
  11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I fitted Bosch induction hob a while back that took a plug.

12. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

For what it's worth, from a DIYer...
    Regardless of what the regulations/guidelines are, how are you going to de-power the washing machine/dishwasher in an emergency? I'd suggest that you don't want to be having to move them to get to the plugs/sockets.
    If you have the relevant sockets accessible via a nearby, even if not adjacent, cupboard that would be OK.

I'll get me coat and be off now!

Regards,

Cando

13. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

that's a fair point, but i think someone's already suggested putting socket in adjacent cupboard

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I would and always have made it so that appliances can be turned off in an emergency, i.e. Appliance catches fire ur not going to pull it out.