Advice for mortar mix

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Taz9126, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Hi
    I'm doing some pointing patching in.
    Can anyone advise wot I'm doing wrong please.
    My mix when dry is very light and I've tried various mixes of 4:1 and 3:1
    But still seems really light and it looks awful when on the wall :-(
    How do I get a darker mix please ?
    I'm losing the will to live lol

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

More sand! Try 5:1 and use a PVA coat on the existing mortar to stabilize it and assist adhesion.

3. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Hi
    Won't more sand make it lighter in colour ?
    Thanks

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Always difficult to match colour of mortar / pointing / as mainly, the end colour will be determined by the colour of the sand used

Building sand can range from pale, almost white, through yellows, browns and reds. All will give a different colour once cured, even if all mixed with standard grey cement

Ratios of sand/cement will also make a difference but you can’t simply add loads more of one and less of the other to match colour as you may well end up with an unsuitable mix (too strong or too weak) You’ve got to roughly stick to a pointing ‘recipe’

Colour of sands also varies around the country as to where it’s sourced from and it’s unlikely your going to know what was originally used. Can get mortar dyes but in the meantime, stick up a photo of what your trying to achieve and you may get some more specific advice re. sands/ratios

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The cement will also make a difference to the colour.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yellow or red sand?

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As in using say ‘Snowcrete’ as opposed to the usual grey cement ?

Are all grey cements more or less the same ‘50 shades of grey’ or is there’s much variation ?

Just asking for myself really Stevie

8. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

I'm using yellow sand as I know it was originally done with yellow .
    The pic was a patch in bit til I got more time tbh but it's horrendous
    Thats 5.1 and simar with 4.1 to be honest

Attached Files:

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You may well get some variation between different "normal" cement.

Many years ago I was told in no uncertain terms by the builder doing a large extension for me (labour only) to ideally get a big enough load of sand to do the whole job and to make sure that the same cement was used throughout.

I recall a concrete pour back in the dim and distant when we got 1 load into the forms before the plant broke down. Another supplier stepped into the breach in time to save the pour, but when the shutters were stripped it looked as though a pot of paint had been thrown at the wall so great was the colour difference,

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Add a bit of black acrylic pigment. The sort you mix with emulsion. Buy some black or gray as add to water will darken it down. Never used with cement but have with grout

11. GRH

GRH Member

You might be able to get some cement colouring - I think it is called Cementone - and try some small mixes until you get a good match - but they would likely need to be dry when comparing. Oh, and write down what you did, we never 'I'll remember' :).