Advice For Old White Pebble Dash

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by TGull, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TGull

TGull Member

My house needs a good new lick of paint. It's an old 1908 house which I guess was painted around 4-6 years ago. There is a fair bit of flaking and general moss etc on exterior.

I'm aware that old buildings need to breath, however I'm not sure if that applies for the external white pebble dash? I'm guessing it does?

Regardless, could anyone recommend a good long lasting paint for this situation?

Please keep in mind the house is on top of a hill, so gets its fair share of wind and driving rain.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Weathershield 'Maximum Exposure' masonry paint.

3. TGull

TGull Member

So you think water based is fine for outside also?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Regardless of the quality of the paint used, due to the condition of the dash, in ur words ‘fair bit of flaking and moss’, very thorough prep is gonna be needed before the lid comes off the paint bucket

Also pebble dash holds onto a lot of grime and muck, not the best for paint adhesion

Astra is the man here for any further advice you require

Will you be doing the work yourself or getting in a pro ?

5. TGull

TGull Member

I'm thinking of doing it myself, as I want to keep on top of it. The house is a rather odd shape and would cost a fortune to do it every 3 years or so, so I'm thinking of investing in a tower of some kind and then doing it every so often rather than letter it depreciate over time.

On a side note, I'm thinking of getting a Wernet Access Tower. Any one had any experiences with this? - https://www.wernerco.com/eu/en/view/30303

Back to what were you saying about prep. I've mainly done internal painting. What prep would you recommend? Powerwash, scrub with brush, dry and then 2 or 3 coats of the recommended paint?

If I had infinite money I would get professionals to do everything, but sadly that's not the case.

Thoughts welcome.