Advice for painting a repair.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tony Hancock, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Tony Hancock

Tony Hancock New Member

Hi all.

looking for some advice after repairing a wall. Was a slight crack I filled and sanded back and now some parts of plaster are showing through. It was a kinda bulge so inevitable really.

the wall is just white and I’m going to repaint it all anyway. My question is, do I need to mist coat this small section then paint all the wall? Or should I just go ahead and paint the whole wall with normal emulsion?

many thanks!!!

2. Tony Hancock

Tony Hancock New Member

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I give those walls a coat of leyland acrylic primer or similar then emulsion. You get an even coat which gives the emulsion better application for a better finish

Depends on the paint as some durables need a primer so see what the application sheet says regarding priming dry surface.
    I always do the entire surface vs spot priming.

As example with dulux trade matt (not a durable) thin 20% water and spot prime although I'd just coat the entire wall so I don't miss anything

With durables they require a plaster primer (like what) well acrylic primer undercoat as that says in data sheet it's good for plaster, wood ect.

Some durables say they are fine to use as a primer thinned to with 20% water.

So it depends on what you are using as a top coat.
    There are so many different paints available these days vs years ago

Tony Hancock likes this.
  4. Tony Hancock

Tony Hancock New Member

Paint I’m using is Dulux easycare washable and tough. So you would just use a mist coat of this on entire wall?

thank you for the reply, appreciate it.