Advice for quoting this job

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by billathome65, Jul 16, 2019.

1. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Had this sent to me for a quote. Not seen the job fully but based on this picture what would your quote be? The client wants the ceiling and coving sorted only. I'm seeing damage to existing paint possible plaster it's obviously going to need a stain blocker plus prep and paint. I have a price in mind but don't want to over quote. What sort of prices would you guys be giving plus your views on timescales for start to finish. Cheers guys

Attached Files:

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Is their home insurance paying? Looks like significant damage there - I am pretty sure insurance will be expecting the ceiling to come down and walls taken back to the brick after a fire like that.
    Not sure I would be wanting to get involved in doing a patch-up to that one.

3. billathome65

billathome65 Member

No insurance I'm trying to manage the clients expectations as it looks like a small ceiling area I'm going to suggest scraping and filling the damaged paint area using a stain blocker and a couple of coats of emulsion. But the client will need to supply all paints for this job as it's for an 80 year old mum. I'm thinking if it's a patch and splash just charging by the hour to keep price down. If I do go to quote I will insist the light is inspected and I will check the integrity of the ceiling before agreeing or refusing the job. Am just stuck of a realistic quote.

Cheers Bill

4. furious_customer

I would be very wary of this - if some unseen issue causes a problem further down the line (and with fire there can be plenty of them) then as the person who carried out the re-instatement then you may well be legally liable. The fact that you did it on an hourly rate etc to keep costs down etc won't be taken into account by anyone when determining liability.

5. furious_customer

That's just my opinions btw - I am not in the trade, but have had 2 big insurance claims in the last year so have spent a lot of time talking to loss adjiusters about issue like this.

6. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Cheers for the reply based on my own observation and gut feeling I have refused to quote and advised they contact their insurance and sighted possible structure issues with the ceiling plus possible electrical faults due to heat transfer through that metal light fitting. I'm expecting a bad review now on FB but sometimes you have to refuse a job for safety reasons. Irrespective of the fact the damage may be superficial the light fitting and my reasoning allowed me to use my own liability as the reason to not quote. Cheers again.