Advice for where to start???

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by CosRush, Mar 4, 2009.

1. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Can somebody please take a quick look at this drawing and answer my queries regarding where to start?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CosRush/tiling.jpg

I want to have the tiles at A central to the centreline from the units/extractor above.

Should I start at A, then work towards each end?

With regards to B, should I start in the corner with a whole tile or have any cut tile here?

Same for C, should I start from the corner (B) with a whole tile or start at the other end at C and have any cut tile in the corner (B)?

2. gint

gint Member

Centre of chimney on wall A
    Then on other wall, find centre, then work out weather to start on edge of centre line or half on centre line, depends how it works out in corners. As you don't want minute cuts in the corners.
    Hope this makes sense

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

centre off a...try full tile from c.. checking cuts for sockets if not good try wrap round with a / b....then socket cuts..

4. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Thanks very much to both of you for you replies.

:)

5. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Ok fella's, here's where Im at.

Ive centralised the tiles in the chimney section, this has worked out perfectly with matchstick spacing to the corner B.

The only slight problem I have now is the window tiles.

A row of full tiles running from one tile square with one edge of the window to the other leaves approx 1"sticking out further than the window opening.

What would you normally do in this situation???

6. CosRush

CosRush New Member

7. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

use the center of the window and work outwards so you have an equal cut either side of the reveals! you may be left with a half cut at the ends of the run though depending on dimensions of the run and the tiles! ;)

8. gint

gint Member

Yep centre of window

9. CosRush

CosRush New Member

So do you both mean start from the centre and cut the tiles at each end where they will extend beyond the window opening by 1/2" each?

Im not sure I understand you both........

10. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Or do you mean start from the centre and run whole tiles all the way to one and the other into the corner and cut these end tiles down to fit.

Then the row above where it edges the window recess cut thin 1/2" wide tiles to run up above where the bottom overlap the window recess width?

11. GKU

GKU New Member

As tocord..... said - start from centre of window , and have cuts at the window reveals <u>and</u> at each end of the wall as well , <u>don't</u> start at one end with a full tile !!!!

12. gint

gint Member

If you only have a 1/2" cut at each end of window then start with centre of tile on your centre line in middle of window

13. GKU

GKU New Member

Exactly mate ;)