Advice getting a neat edge round ceiling/wall joins

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Evening all,

I’ve been decorating the living room, walls are a light/mid grey, one wallpaper feature wall that’s also grey, ceiling is white. I’m having trouble getting that nice clean defined edge between the grey of the wall, and the ceiling. I’ve tried the way you pros do it with a steady hand, decent brush and my hand isn’t steady enough.

I’ve tried the masking tape method, last time (couple of years ago) I ripped a load of paint off the wall with it, so this time I went with low tack masking tape, which didn’t rip anything off, but did bleed through in many places, despite being firmly pressed down at the edge.

Lastly, I bought some super fine kids paint brushes and they allow fine strokes, but my hand isn’t steady enough, so I’m getting grey on the white ceing and then going round touching up the ceiling and getting bits of white on the grey. I’m talking about tiny amounts here, not really noticeable to most people, but I know they are there.

Looking at it, a 5mm, maybe smaller, bead of silicone or something would neaten it all up, but what to use? Or is there another way?

Any help, much appreciated, cheers :)

2. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Silicone sounds disastrous!!! :eek:

This revolutionised my approach:

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, thats the first method I tried and couldn’t do, my hand isn’t steady enough.

Gummo likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Use low tack tape but damp cloth over prior to emulsion will seal the edges. Especially with frog tape that has magic dust.
    If paint is coming off its because it was poorly applied and not stuck well which is a common problem. Best test a patch and not leave tape on for more than a few hours. Pull tape when emulsion is wet.. Look at quality masking like tesa which can be bought local.
    I use frog yellow (has powder on edges) but that can stick too well sometimes. Need to test

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Spot of water in your cutting in paint will make it flow better.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. The tape that ripped off all the paint last time was frogtape yellow and green, the yellow was definitely better, but still pulled the paint off in places. This time I got the Tesa pink, and tack-wise, it is very good and didn’t pull any paint off, but doesn’t seal properly, no matter how much you press it. For me, on these walls, anyway.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Tesa pink never sticks that well but that's how it is. The least sticky of all the tapes. Yellow frog is too sticky sometimes.
    Try something else. Q1 or fossa. Indasa I like but not easy to get.

Monkey Chops likes this.