Advice needed - building 2nd storey elevation on existing side extension

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by momo1982, Apr 13, 2022.

1. momo1982

momo1982 New Member

Hello all,

I am in need of guidance and advice on the process as to what i need to do to determine if I can build a 2nd storey on top of a side extension to my house. The extension was in place when I moved in and I have queried the local council and building control and they have ran a search but advised that they hold no record of the footings that were made for the extension but it was all signed off.

I wanted advice on the process I need to follow to determine whether the existing foundations would be deep enough to build on top, I wasnt sure if who i need to involve and the builders I spoke to say i need plans. my though process is that i would only consider this if i can build on top of what already exists as budget wont allow me to gut it all and start fresh.

What would i need to do and who to contact if i wanted to get the footings checked and okayed? would i need to get the council involved or just have a builder to check it and tell me it would be sufficient before having plans drawn up?

also would a timber frame 2nd elevation require less footings than a brick\block 2nd elevation? the rest of the house is a dutch style, so the 1st elevation is bricked and 2nd storey is timber frame front and back and tiled over, the side of the house is bricked.

hope that makes some sense

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Structural engineer needed los a few trial pits to determine existing foundations

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Strip foundations aren't designed for load for normal houses so timber frame won't make a difference. Quicker to build and thinner so more internal space though.

What sort of ground do you have and are there trees within 30m as these will determine the depth required for new build.

That said most BCOs will accept an existing foundation that is reasonable.

Step one is to dig a trial hole and see what you have. If there's more than 750 or so you'll probably be OK: ask BC they will generally advise

4. momo1982

momo1982 New Member

thanks those who responded, there's no trees nearby, not sure about the ground, recently did artificial lawn in the garden and dug about 6 inches plus, it wasn't soft but after about 3 inches of soil it was like sticky clay/mud

I guess I shall be speaking to building control and see if they can advise me further.

I guess I need trial pits soon.