Advice needed! F28 error

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Wardini, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Wardini

Wardini New Member

Hi all, I wonder if I can trouble you for some expertise- We have a newish vailant ecofit sustain combi. Recently, during the cold weather, the boiler went into error mode showing the F28 code. This is apparently mostly associated with a frozen condensate pipe, which would make sense due to the weather, however our condensate pipe is internal. The install plumbers came out and 'blew air down the pipe', and vaillant came out and checked the boiler. The error seems to be intermittent, only happening overnight during cold spells, which suggests it's definitely due to the cold weather. Vaillant didn't find anything wrong but as a precaution they replaced a few parts which also sometimes cause this fault code. Unfortunatley the error has happened several times since- we always seem to wake up to it after a cold night. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? Could an internal condensate pipe be freezing during the colder weather? Or could it be something to do with the temperature of the water entering the boiler? As it is intermittent, nobody has yet been able to solve our problem! Thanks all, Simon

2. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Where does the condensate drain into? Could that be susceptible to frost?

3. Wardini

Wardini New Member

Thanks, that was my initial thought. I believe it drains into the main waste pipe, but as we don't seem to have any drainage issues I'm assuming that it isn't affected by frost?