Advice needed: how can I get a start in dry lining in Scotland?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Caldo789, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Caldo789

Caldo789 New Member

Hey all,

I'm 23y, and currently based in Glasgow. I have a fair bit of site experience, having half completed a Site Carpentry apprenticeship (wasn't for me, at that time at least), and have since done various labouring jobs. After lending a hand to some Dry Liners on site I think it is a trade I'd like to take up, but am having a bit of trouble finding courses in Scotland. There seem to be quite a lot for Plastering, but not Dry Lining. I just want to get some professional tutoring and practice hours to build my confidence before starting on site/ on a job, as I've had poor experiences of being pawned off and not taught anything on site when turning up as a complete beginner - for this reason I don't want to go down the apprenticeship route again.

I have family I'm able to stay with in London, and some colleges down there do offer City and Guilds accredited Dry Lining courses for beginners, but they are around the £2000 mark. I don't mind saving in order to invest that money in myself, but I do wonder if employers will be keen to take me on with just this? The end goal is to get an entry level job on site or with a tradesperson so I can continue improving, and working towards completing an SVQ.

Any Dry Liners working in Scotland out there who could point me in the right direction? Your thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated!

Cheers
    Cal

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A drylining course? Christ, just when I thought I'd heard it all! Save your £2000 and put it towards taking a CSCS test and card, a Hilti sd5000 a22 collated gun, a paddle mixer and generator and some basic hand tools. Approach a drylining company first before you spend your money to see if they actually will give you a shot once you've got a scam card to get on site, otherwise you'll be two grand down for nothing.

gadget man likes this.