Advice needed on lifting worktop joint

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jon h, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Jon h

Jon h New Member

I'm just looking for some advice with regards to our worktop. We had our £12500 kitchen installed mid September and had nothing but problems with the installation. I won't at this stage say which company installed it. If anyone would be so kind to look at the pictures of our issue below and make comment, it would be greatly appreciated. The companies installation manager recently came out and has sent us the following response to our concerns! I wonder whether he would place these photos in their showroom if there is no issue, as I bet he wouldn't.
    1. A concern regarding the worktop joint was raised. It was explained that this area appeared not to be as flat as the surrounding area which was demonstrated by a plate being placed on area to demonstrate a rocking motion. Following a very close inspection of the joint and the way it was formed I could find nothing that I considered outside of the normal for such areas on a worksurface. The joint was well made and tight with no obvious gap or sign of moisture ingression. I would not consider this joint to be faulty in anyway, however there is a possibility that it is being slightly pushed up by the bolts below being marginally to tight. I would be willing to arrange that an installer attend to check this by removing washing machine and loosening bolts a small amount and at the same time ensuring contact adhesive is used to ensure the laminate surface is not in anyway separating. For your assistance and information It should be noted that the area of a worktop joint should always be kept dry and appliances such as kettles and toasters not placed directly on or adjacent as this could lead to bubbling of the area through moisture ingression which is not covered under the terms of a kitchen warrantee.
    IMG_20191221_180802.jpg IMG_20200109_224404.jpg

2. Beeero

Beeero Active Member

Looks like water has gotten into the joint and made the chipboard swell, that’s irreversible and is only going to get worse, probably not enough sealant used at the time of fitting

Jon h likes this.
  3. Jon h

Jon h New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You should see the other issues we have had!

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

They know that water has caused the chipboard to swell which is why they say keep it dry. So they have supplied a worktop that they say you need to keep dry? That is a case for a claim as it is not fit for purpose. What are the other issues?

Jon h likes this.
  5. Jon h

Jon h New Member

Thanks for taking the time bud, much appreciated. The issues below are being investigated by the furniture ombudsman but here are the photos...there is more too!

Attached Files:

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

What you have there Jon h is a PVC edged worktop that the fitter has just butt jointed instead of doing a proper Masons Mitre. That explains all the chips that you can see along the start of the joint, it also explains the lifting of the surface laminate caused by lack of proper sealant and water ingress.
    None of these are caused by you, but ALL are caused by some very shody installation in the first place.
    My advice would be to 100% insist on the worktops being replaced. Whoever inspected and wrote that response is as stupid as the fitter that installed the tops in the first place, so insist on someone else looking at it again.

Scott Green, Jord86 and Jon h like this.
  7. kitfit1

:( Has this fitter ever heard of a bit of kit called a router ?

Jon h likes this.
  8. Jon h

Jon h New Member

A flood after the washing machine wasn't connected properly. We had a dehumidifier put in and floor replaced.
    Hello bud. Thanks very much for your comments. It is with the ombudsman but I wanted to be armed when I went back to them. I have no experience in fitting worktops but I have the sense to go elsewhere to get advice These are further comments made by the installation manager on the subject!

9. Jon h

Jon h New Member

The above were all matters discussed. I am sorry that it will appear I have failed to agree with some of your concern. It can be very much easier to inspect something where an actual fault exists, and action can be offered as this allows you demonstrate your willingness to act. I do not in my findings seek to undermine your concern as I operate as someone with many years of experience within the field and my expectation in respect of matters can be different to that of someone with no experience. It does not mean your concern wrong, for as someone paying good money for a product you have every right to ask that something you are concerned about be checked.

10. Jon h

Jon h New Member

I know mate. It's a joke. The last to photos are of the end of the worktop. The upstand and worktop was supposed to be flush with the wall. They didn't even cut the edging straight.

11. kitfit1

As a fitter myself, i cant see ANY circumstance where i would leave any chipped edges, let alone in full and plain view like that.
    This is typical BS from someone that has never fitted a catflap, let alone a kitchen. What company is it it jon h ?

12. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

The ‘installation manager’ needs such a boot up his crack it’d make his teeth rattle, his comments are ludicrous and an embarrassment to himself and the shed he works for. Agree with kitfit, you require new worktops installed by someone that’s not an idiot.

13. Jon h

Jon h New Member

Wren kitchen bud

14. kitfit1

So, if it was Wren's installers you were charged FULL WACK ? Get them to replace everything that you have shown us so far. You mentioned "Ombudsman" earlier in the thread, what ombudsman ?

Jon h likes this.
  15. Jon h

Jon h New Member

The worktop edge was rectified to be fair, but we also had a flood as the plumber failed to connect the washing machine properly. Got a new floor at least to replace the one I had paid for. We complained about everything seeking compensation to the furniture ombudsman. I had asked for £2500 back. Wren failed to deal with our complaint fully so this is where you have to go for an independent decision which is arbitrary.

16. kitfit1

So, how much of this has actually already been rectified and how much is still to be rectified ?

17. Jon h

Jon h New Member

It's mainly the lifting joint in the worktop and upstands that no filler were placed in. I'll list the issues with the ombudsman which include:
    Over inflated supplementary works - quoted £50 per sq meter to fit lvt flooring yet wrens own paperwork stated shouldn't be more than £30. Quoted for 2 elec certificates when only needed one. This company was due to do the install but we demanded another in light of the quote.
    We had the cooker hood missing from the order which delayed the completion of the kitchen. Thd sink was damaged, microwave surround damaged and not enough upstand provided.
    4 days it took the 2 guys to install the kitchen. This is when I noted the terrible finish to the flush end of the worktop. They came back sanded it down and levelled it up.
    The plumber then disclosed to us that one of our fitters was the brother of the fitter from the company that tried to rip us off. The owner of the company that supplied him also told me that he was given a copy of our original quote which shows he was aware of the link. Wren state this was coincidental that the companies were linked!
    We then had the flood and as the fitters fitted the floor quite far back under the units, the guy they sent ended damaging a lot of it. I asked it was all replaced and it was.
    Unfortunately it's not just the shoddy installation. It's really taking its toll on us. My wife and I have 4 children with twin daughters that are 18 months old. This is the type of people wren have working for them. Don't care and have no conscience.

18. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

If the furniture ombudsman doesn’t work then you have the small claims court process to use

Jon h likes this.
  19. Jon h

Jon h New Member

Thank you for the advice. Trouble with this is it will cost us and money is something we now lack having invested most of our savings in the kitchen

20. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Really? Submitting a small claim costs maybe 50 quid, it is a cheap and simple process