Advice needed on new Dewalt drill - DCD778 or DCD796 with smaller batteries

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Madmax83, Oct 11, 2021.

1. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

If you are a casual diy'er using a combi drill then i would think you just need 1 dewalt 5 ah battery and that will last you about 6 months. You would only need 2 batteries if you are using bigger tools for long periods of time so you can charge 1 while using the other.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I'm DIY and bought the top notch Makita cordless drill/driver incl 2x5Ah batteries, cost £300. Wouldn't do it differently:
    - this tool is used the most, by far.
    - having 2x5Ah batteries (plus 1x3Ah) is great when doing a day or weekend of DIY as I have multiple 18V tools and saves swapping batteries. Also means I can carry on working while one battery is charging.

buffoon1 likes this.
  3. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I disagree with the 'one battery' idea.

I think having a spare charged up, whether DIY or not, is by far a better option.

Doesn't matter how big the battery is, if it runs out mid job and you don't have a spare, well, prepare to wait a while.

Each to their own though.

malkie129 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  4. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Modern 5 ah batteries will last a diy'er all day and even if the battery runs out it can be recharged in 30 minutes. For Diy use a single dewalt 5ah battery is more than adequate

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

And so are two smaller batteries. Adequate, that is.

I'd prefer to have a spare, as I said. I think it makes more sense.

And each to their own, as I said..........

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I appreciate this is an old thread, but here's my tuppence worth...

I'd prefer two smaller batts rather than one big one, better to have to keep swapping and charging than have one which dies at an inconvenient moment, especially for DIY purposes when you have a socket and charger to hand 99.9% of the time.

I picked up another (Three total now!) DeWalt combi from our hosts for £150 with two 4.0aH batts a month or so back, absolute bargain

7. Madmax83

Madmax83 New Member

Agree with 2 batteries.

I was using this drill a few weeks ago and the 5.0aH battery died on me for the first time. The battery does indeed last forever and the only time I charged it was when I first bought it. I had used it a lot and it eventually died whilst in use.

So whilst a 5.0ah will be more than enough for a casual DIYer, unless you make sure you charge it after using it or before next use, having a spare battery means you don't need to bother.

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I agree with the 2 batteries approach. I have a pair of 1.5s and a pair of 4s for my Ryobi kit. Both pairs bought on B&Q offer where 2 batteries plus charger plus bag plus combi were cheaper than the batteries. I tend to use the 1.5s a lot as they are of course much lighter.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I have a Makita 10.8/12V 1/4 hex drive drill/driver which has 2 x 2 Ah batteries. I find this so light & useful when used with Bosch 1/4 hex drive drill bits. I later bought a bare 12v Makita impact driver. This set up meets most of my needs. I also have a Hitachi combi drill with 2x !8v/3 Ah batteries, but I rarely have to resort to that.

10. buffoon1

buffoon1 New Member

Strongly AGREE with Tilt on that. It has taken me too long to learn this lesson. Resting on battery bottom may cost you dearly, as it has me. So many expensive bent bits; kicking myself now as I should have known better. I'm asking people to slap me if they see me still do it (it is a terrible ingrained habit).

11. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

Also depends very much on how hard you’re working it. I’ve got a Makita reciprocating saw that has a supposed working time of about 40 minutes. Which is true if you’re cutting matches with it. Work it hard through a four inch fence post and you’re lucky to get a handful of cuts out of it before a 4a battery is giving up the ghost.

More batteries the better. Think I have 12 currently so theres a constant cycle of those in use and those on charge, but most stuff I have is Makita 18v. Very rarely use anything that isn’t battery powered any more.

Hans_25 likes this.