Advice needed on tieing in a blocked up doorway in sandstone

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RHodgett, Mar 7, 2023.

1. RHodgett

RHodgett New Member

I'm renovating an old sandstone cottage. Working in an upper bedroom (fitting semi vaulted ceiling with reinfoced purlins - designed by SE) and noticed that a hairline crack had formed in the corner of the room where an internal single course stone wall meets the external double course stone wall. The crack is tiny, only ~ 1mm which you can just about make out here:

[​IMG]

The crack doesn't continue down to the floor below.

I'm doting and dabbing these walls anyway so thought it would be best to strip the plaster back to see what is going on. What I found is an old doorway that has been blocked up with similar sandstone as the rest of the wall. The sandstone isn't tied in on either side so I'm not supprised a small crack has formed in that corner:

[​IMG]

I really don't want to remove the blocked up doorway and refit the stone tieing it in as behind that wall is the tiled bathroom and the stone doesn't meet perfectly on both sides so would be a right faff.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to tie these walls together?

I was thinking some kind of steel L brackets down the left side of the doorway and some straight steel brackets or helifix on the rightside of the doorway before dot and dabbing.

Any suggestions really welcome.

2. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Get the job done properly and get the walls lime rendered/plastered.
    The wires running down on the left also need attention as they are not in a prescribed zone, they look a lot more than 150mm from the corner.

3. RHodgett

RHodgett New Member

I've had the outside cement pointing removed and all re-done in lime.

The electric cables (lighting by the size of the cable) were a suprise and were fitted in 2014 before I bought the house. They are modern cables but I agree they aren't in the right place.

4. Ay Bee Cee

Ay Bee Cee Active Member

5. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

You have done the right thing for your house on the outside, keep up the good work on the inside and forget the dot and dab. Get the job done the way it should be,
    which is not dot and dab.

6. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I would have thought the 'right way' would be frame out, insulate, and board.