Advice needed re iron staircase

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Flick1, Apr 2, 2017.

  1. Flick1

    Flick1 New Member

    Hi All,

    Was hoping someone can advise me please. I've recently purchased a 1st floor flat which has a rear exit iron staircase to the ground floor. At the time of the building survey the surveyor said there was a fair bit of rust and it may need further looking into. Whether it's going to be paint, part replacement or full replacement I don't know but am hoping to get advice from a specialist. Do I need to go to a structural engineer for this? And if so, any recommendations and expected cost?

  2. Astramax

    Astramax Well-Known Member

    Can you post any pictures as that would be a great help! :)
  3. KIAB

    KIAB Well-Known Member

    Need some photo's, including the worst rusty area's first.
    As to cost, how long is a piece of string?

    You might be lucky & be able to have mobile shotblasting firm come & strip it back to bare metal,do any repairs, then prime & paint.
    Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

    Astramax Well-Known Member

    Good advice from KIAB, maybe look into industrial treatments for ironwork as they would be longer lasting and by far tougher finishes than the likes of Combi color, Hammerite etc.
  5. KIAB

    KIAB Well-Known Member

    A structural steel paint would be ideal, like PPG Sigma Cover 400, Rustoleum Noxyde Pergarust, these are self priming finishes, there are others.

    Astra your the painter, you should be suggesting suitable products, not me.:p:D

    And a linky.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  6. Astramax

    Astramax Well-Known Member

    I pointer the OP in the right direction...............can't please some people Doh!:rolleyes:
  7. chippie244

    chippie244 Well-Known Member

    We spray all our metalwork with black etch primer but we aren't exterior.
  8. candoabitofmoststuff

    candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

    Before you get too involved in cost, you might want to check who's responsible...
    When I lived in a first/top floor flat, and there was a leak from above, (which turned out to be deteriorated flashing), it was the freeholder's responsibilty. Fortunately there was not battling and it was fixed, by them, very quickly.

    I would think there's a good chance that something like this, which sounds like a fire escape, is your freeholder's responsibilty too.

    Good luck,



Share This Page