Advice needed - skirting boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by efchutchy, Oct 17, 2019.

1. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

Was hoping someone could help me please

I'm currently having a garage conversion which is about to finish tomorrow

Yesterday I noticed that the skirting boards hadn't been mitred/Scribed. They've literally been cut in rectangle shapes and the corners where the joint should be has been filled in with decorator's caulk.
    Is this acceptable?

I questioned it today and was told once painted over I wouldn't notice it was decorator's caulk and not a scribe/mitre. And pretty much that it was the 'easier option' which I was surprised to be told.

Question is, is the job that's been done satisfactory? Or can there be issues down the line with the corner joints filled in with caulk?

Thanks

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Photos?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Depends on if you like seeing 'end grain' or maybe your builders a shoddy twa7 or at best clueless and couldn't give a damn.............your paying....your choice!...the fact you are asking states the obvious....you aint at all happy with it. :confused:

4. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

5. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

6. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

I'd never really noticed it, I'm really not clued up with these things. It was my neighbour (apprentice joiner) who'd picked up on it.

7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I would be asking him to take them off and replace or reuse once properly cut. Can't think what he was thinking of doing it like that; bodge. It takes minutes to do it properly.

efchutchy likes this.
  8. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Did he use a guide-dog when fitting that? Just wondering what the rest of the work is like....

9. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

He's claiming it'll be 'tidied up' when he comes back later this morning

Is a decorator's caulk job bad long term? i.e could it eventually crack?

10. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Caulk is fine in the right place, just not here. He is not going to get it much tidier, you can't sand decorators caulk. Can't understand his thinking, if he had done it right to begin with there would be no need to mess around trying to tidy it up. If you are happy with it like that then OK, but there is no way in the world that is a professional job, it's not that difficult to do it right.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What a total mess the geezer clearly has no pride in his finish, caulk is not a good choice to use in this instance, he is clearly out of his depth and cutting corners (or not in this case).

Muzungu likes this.
  12. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

Strange thing is the conversion has been a 2 week job. He has 2 builders who've done their work spot on, no issues (had this checked with my dad who's a qualified builder). The electrician has done his work OK as has the window fitter. But it's the OWNER of the company who has decided to 'finish the job' and do the skirting boards and door fitting. The door fitting was not satisfactory (gaps at the sides when the door shut due to the way the hinge was put on) and he had ordered the wrong door so yesterday he spent his afternoon replacing and putting the new door up up. Mentioned that I'd be invoiced for the rework which I will not be paying for!

Muzungu likes this.
  13. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

Thanks for clarification. Yet to hear from a single person that this is a good job, other than from the guy who did it. He's back later and I'll ask him to redo it at his cost.

Muzungu likes this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Lazy lazy lazy!

15. efchutchy

efchutchy New Member

Any idea what the long term implications of sticking caulk in there would be? Cracking eventually? He's also screwed the boards into this wall, is this normal? I always thought they got glued in

16. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

But only if you know how.
    (And the experieneced guys will tell us that it takes years and years to do it properly, but the customer only gets charged for the hour).

17. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Sounds like the owner is trying to avoid paying a joiner so resorting to DIY.

efchutchy likes this.
  18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Usual discussion with internal corners is to mitre or scribe ..... and this always ensures a lively debate :D

This geezer has done neither and come up with his own method, resulting in more work for him and high chance of a poor finish at corners if your really fussy and notice these details (still not right even if you don’t notice)

Ok, corners are rarely spot on 90s but a quick angle finder, set square, even pencil lines on floor and some sums, he could have cut internal mitres with a chop saw and added a wipe of caulk or wood filler to take up small gaps as needed

Nahhhhhhhh just cut square and lash in the caulk :eek:

As for messing up fitting the door and then fitting a 2nd door with the added costs ,,,,,,, well, if it’s as you say it is and it’s the builders fault ...... how can he even consider charging you for this ?

19. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I've seen it done on a very small pencil round profile on intetnals. My god wasn't expecting tarus Jesus that's rough

Jord86 and barbaricduck like this.
  20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of caulk to ‘tighten’ things up, but it’s even messily applied along the tops where you usually use it. It doesn’t look good now and won’t look any better over time. Scribing internals is such a basic part of fitting skirting boards that it’s just not tennis.