Advice on attached deck frame to a sloped wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bairdyboy1980, Jun 12, 2020.

1. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

I need to attached my ground level timber frame for decking to a sloped wall. How would i do this without making contact and the timber rotting from the rain?

any help would be appreciated

4142FF89-B112-41CB-9FCD-84B287861685.jpeg

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You don't, you would keep the posts back a couple of inches and sit or notch your joist framework on top or into them. Is that the timber you're planning to use? Is it treated?

3. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

I dont want to put posts in, attaching to the wall that is there already will make it solid.

yep its treated c16

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Ere we go. How do you do this. No I don’t want to do it that way!!!!

5. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

No not at all... surely if i have a solid concrete wall i would be best attaching to that?

also digging down for posts isnt an option as its all massive stones and rocks underneath so unable to dig out

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

So you are not putting any posts into the ground but supporting straight off the gravelled area with blocks I assume? If that's the case by the time you have built your frame and boarded it out it will weigh a ton and wont be going anywhere so there is no need to tie it to your wall

7. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

yep thats what i am doing. Composite boards going down so it will weigh quite abit

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Being difficult to dig, and can’t dig, not the same thing

9. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

Previous builder put large rocks underneath the stones here. Tried dogging a post and all i got what a massive rock about 10cm down