Advice on bathroom ceiling?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Random Bloke, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Random Bloke

Random Bloke New Member

New build house, its only few years old, but has had it fair share of issues lol.

Bathroom ceiling was basically just cheap white paint onto plasterboard as far as I can see, not much if any plaster skim.

And in repairing the shower the ceiling has had a few deep scratches made in it by mistake.

So left with ceiling with a few big scratches, and because of that paint around them is starting to bubble and flake (obviously the bathroom is in use and it’s a steamy environment).

So options for repair seem to be:

1 get ceiling skimmed with plaster by a plasterer, then later painted. Don’t like this idea for a number of reasons, will make it hard if any subsequent shower repairs are needed for one.

Or

2 basic repair to ceiling (Polyfilla or similar) then cover it with something. Say either tiles or PVC patterned wallpaper (which could then be painted with paint suitable for bathroom?).

I am tending to favour getting the ceiling done in PVC patterned wallpaper, what kind would anyone recommend? And then painted? What kind of paint?

Really I want the quickest easiest cheapest solution to this problem?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Prepare the ceiling and paint it with an Acrylic Eggshell, forget wallpapering the ceiling as it will not last in that environment.

3. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Troupet filler in powder form to make good then sand. Emulsion in matt.. I say matt bathroom paint. Or zinsser if you want it bullet proof.. See here

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Don’t understand the point about not having the ceiling skimmed ‘as this will make any future shower repairs hard’ ...... how comes ?

If current paint is bubbling and flaking, possibly new plaster wasn’t sealed with a mist coat when 1st decorated

These patches where paint is peeling, does it leave clean, fresh looking plaster underneath ? (I think so)

If plaster wasn’t mist coated, all looks ok-ish until you come to repaint few years down the line

As the water in the new paint softens the old paint, high chance of large areas of paint simply peeling off

This may or may not happen of course, might just be a few isolated areas. If it is a problem, ‘may’ be minimised by painting with a brush instead of a roller

If paint scrapes off easily with a flat blade, best option is to remove the lot, prep and start again, properly......... but you don’t wanna even think about that :eek:

5. Random Bloke

Random Bloke New Member

Re “Prepare the ceiling and paint it with an Acrylic Eggshell, forget wallpapering the ceiling as it will not last in that environment.” Don’t think this will end up working, unless a skim of plaster is done.

Re “Troupet filler in powder form to make good then sand. Emulsion in matt.. I say matt bathroom paint. “ again cannot see it working

Re “Don’t understand the point about not having the ceiling skimmed ‘as this will make any future shower repairs hard’ ...... how comes ? “ because the shower has shower panels floor to ceiling, and if we were to do the traditional thing and put a skim of plaster on the ceiling then is inevitable going to drop below the top of the panels, so in the future if the panels need to come out the ceiling will get wrecked.

Re “If current paint is bubbling and flaking, possibly new plaster wasn’t sealed with a mist coat when 1st decorated “ its new build they seem to have just sprayed cheap generic paint onto plasterboard, with no plaster layer on top of the plasterboard other than at the screw/nail points.

Re “These patches where paint is peeling, does it leave clean, fresh looking plaster underneath ? (I think so) “ no its clean fresh looking plasterboard surface…

Re “If plaster wasn’t mist coated, all looks ok-ish until you come to repaint few years down the line” don’t understand

Re “If paint scrapes off easily with a flat blade, best option is to remove the lot, prep and start again, properly......... but you don’t wanna even think about that” don’t know, but since its basically paint on plasterboard there is a danger of scraping the card covering of the plasterboard away and then there is no ceiling….

Ideas anyone?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Your ceiling is taped and jointed, perfectly acceptable done correctly. If the paint is flaking and looking tatty that probably means your extractor fan hasn't been working for some time, and you don't open the window I'm assuming? The ideas given already are pretty much the best you'll get.

7. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Treat with fungal wash, let dry, thoroughly sand and make good.
    1 coat of bullseye 123 followed by 2 coats of Perma white, either Matt/ Satin depending on how effective extraction is.

At least that’s the way I would do it.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Good advice from Astra - as usual. You don't want to skim anyway (looking through your other posts) so you have to make good the damage whatever. Whats the harm in trying this suggestion - apart from having to buy some eggshell and a tin of elbow grease?

9. Random Bloke

Random Bloke New Member

Thanks for your help.

The extractor is working fine, and the pipe work for it in the loft has just been replaced (for other reasons), so its been checked out.

The paint is only flaking around where the ceiling was scraped, understandable in the circumstances.

I'm not sure I feel confident doing this myself.

How much do you think it would cost if I were to pay a professional to do it? And how long would it take? (its a medium size bathroom, upstairs in regular house)

10. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Best to combine with other work if possible as time would be wasted for drying time.

Where are you located?

11. Random Bloke

Random Bloke New Member

near Rugby