Advice on changing light fitting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Andrew Whinney, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Andrew Whinney

Andrew Whinney New Member

Hi everyone! I'm changing a ceiling rose to a 3 light linea bar in my dining room. The ceiling rose has 2 x earth, 2 x neutral, 3 x live and 1 x switch live. The new fitting has just three connectors - a switched live, an earth and a neutral. Is anyone able to provide any advice on which wires into which connections? Photos included to illustrate. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

3. Andrew Whinney

That's great, thank you Comlec. What is best to do with the three other live wires? Should I connect to a terminal block and wrap with insulation tape?

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Either a terminal block or a Wago connector. Whatever you use should be enclosed within the new light fitting not stuffed into the ceiling.

5. Andrew Whinney

That's brilliant, thanks very much for your advice - really appreciate it!

6. Andrew Whinney

Apologies, just one more question - can both earth wires in the ceiling rose terminal be wired into the single earth terminal on the new fitting, and same for the three neutral? I have a Wago connector for the three additional live wires. Thanks again.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

8. Andrew Whinney

Thank you!

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I love those diagrams that Comlec does. So clever.

10. Andrew Whinney

Certainly are - makes it so clear on what is needed!

11. Andrew Whinney

So, I've wired everything up but lights no longer working in dining room or adjacent lounge.

I connected the two earth wires to the earth terminal, the two neutral wires into the neutral terminal, the switch live into the switch live terminal, and the three other live wires into a wago terminal block. Any ideas on where I've gone wrong??

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Check the lives are connected correctly in the wago.

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Either the neutrals are not actually connected / in contact with each other ,or the 3 reds are not.
    Is your new fitting not working in dining room ?

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The three reds must be connected together in the Wago. Post a photo of your wiring. We like photos!

15. Andrew Whinney

Thanks Bazza - I did try again, but to no avail. I'll have another go tomorrow when I've got better light and post the photos. Out of interest, I put each of the three lives into each of the three individual poles on the wago. Is that correct, or should the three go into one pole together?

16. Andrew Whinney

Cheers Comlec, I'll try again tomorrow when I have some daylight to work with

17. Andrew Whinney

Hi Terry, thank you. Yes I've got the new fitting in the dining room. Now the two lights in the adjacent lounge are not working either. I'll look again tomorrow when I have some daylight to work with.

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Depends on which Wago you have. You need a 3 (or more) pole Wago. Like this
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA203.html

19. Andrew Whinney

20. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Are you stripping the wire before you insert them in the wago they should grip firmly