Advice on extending flooring under stairs for new toilet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mobnob2, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mobnob2

Mobnob2 New Member

Hello

I am looking for some advice to floor the cupboard/storage under my staircase.

We are going to put a toilet in but just wanted to know best way to floor across.

I have pictures to help understand the situation.

The electrics will have a stud wall in front and toilet will back up against it.

Attached Files:

2. Shytot

Shytot Member

Hello , don’t really understand your problem. It’s it because the wires are in the way of your supporting joist ?

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

What are you doing about 1. The DNOs electrical equipment 2. Your electrical equipment. Both have to be accessible. Over to you

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

I think you need to rethink this. Even if you have an access above, you can't have it so you climb over a toilet to access. Technically a new toilet is going to need building control sign-off, and that idea won't.

looking at your photo it seems all cabling comes in from the same side, so I would think about moving the incomer and CU in that direction and installing at high level in an accessible cabinet - then you could put your toilet in (with an extractor don't forget). Its going to cost £££ to shift, but IMO the only permissible solution.

The floor BTW is easy - couple of wall plates, joist hangers, chip floor, job jobbied.

edit - just thought - if you close off the triangular space with a stud wall, possibly you could put a new door into the triangular space from outside to give access. - what do others think of this?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Messy electrician been working on that CU and leaving all his clipping on floor :confused:

Yeah it’s gonna be covered up but why leave your s hit in someone’s else’s house ?

Empty box, carrier bag, bucket as you work and just chuck all the rubbish in that / or dustpan and brush to finish

Maybe my ocd but anyway :)

Bigger issues in that ‘room’ !