Advice on extending flooring under stairs for new toilet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mobnob2, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mobnob2

Mobnob2 New Member

Hello

I am looking for some advice to floor the cupboard/storage under my staircase.

We are going to put a toilet in but just wanted to know best way to floor across.

I have pictures to help understand the situation.

The electrics will have a stud wall in front and toilet will back up against it.

Attached Files:

2. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Hello , don’t really understand your problem. It’s it because the wires are in the way of your supporting joist ?

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

What are you doing about 1. The DNOs electrical equipment 2. Your electrical equipment. Both have to be accessible. Over to you

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I think you need to rethink this. Even if you have an access above, you can't have it so you climb over a toilet to access. Technically a new toilet is going to need building control sign-off, and that idea won't.

looking at your photo it seems all cabling comes in from the same side, so I would think about moving the incomer and CU in that direction and installing at high level in an accessible cabinet - then you could put your toilet in (with an extractor don't forget). Its going to cost £££ to shift, but IMO the only permissible solution.

The floor BTW is easy - couple of wall plates, joist hangers, chip floor, job jobbied.

edit - just thought - if you close off the triangular space with a stud wall, possibly you could put a new door into the triangular space from outside to give access. - what do others think of this?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Messy electrician been working on that CU and leaving all his clipping on floor :confused:

Yeah it’s gonna be covered up but why leave your s hit in someone’s else’s house ?

Empty box, carrier bag, bucket as you work and just chuck all the rubbish in that / or dustpan and brush to finish

Maybe my ocd but anyway :)

Bigger issues in that ‘room’ !