Advice on flat roof to pitched roof

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TSB, Nov 24, 2021 at 12:17 PM.

1. TSB

TSB New Member

Hi, I'm thinking of changing the garage flat roof to a pitched one, to make the outside look of the house less 70's. The flat roof is solid and was wondering if you could build the pitched one straight on top of it. Or would the roof need to come off, a new timber wall plate fitted and then new roof built. I'm only asking as the garage is attached to the house and is full of stuff and no way of protecting it from weather etc if roof has to come off. Any advice would be appreciated

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Personally, I would have thought you could build straight over provided the eaves detail can be made to work. Might give you a handy storage space as well, if you cut a hatch in it afterwards. Photos?

3. TSB

TSB New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes the idea is to use it as extra storage but also to make a front porch at the side of the garage. Will try and put some photo's on to give you an idea

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It depends on the state of the roof/wallplate levels and whether the joists are fitted sloping or level then a slope created using firring pieces, but generally it can be built over, yes.

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

As above. Yes can be built over. Actually part of my house has the original flat roof in. Two downsides to that. It’s a bit harder to drop pipes and cables when rewriting/ plumbing (but not that hard) and the mice like the roof space (but mice are inevitable where I am)

6. TSB

TSB New Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess my main question would be then- where do you put the new wall plate? I've added a couple of photo's to show what's there at the moment and what I'm thinking of doing. There will be new walls built under the porch part and that bit of roof will be cut away. It's just above the garage part I'm concerned with

frontview.PNG planview.jpg

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The new wall plates would sit roughly 200mm in from the furthest wall edges, flush with the inside brickwork. Why are you concerned about the part over the garage?

8. TSB

TSB New Member

If the idea would be to just screw the new wall plate on top of the existing roof, then I have no worries. I thought I'd might need to cut it back and rain etc would get in and damage all my stuff. It's a project I'm hoping to start in the spring as planning is needed first

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You will need to cut part of the roof back to ensure the wallplates are fixed properly. Roofwork always carries an element of risk with the elements themselves, it's a days work to cut a new roof on and best part of another day to finish the uPVC fascia, soffit and gutters. Another day to felt, batten and tile it. It's not a great deal of time to have to move stuff out of the garage to ensure no rain gets in.

10. Rosso

Rosso New Member

Spanner into the works:
    Have you considered having a mono-pitch falling away from the house, all across the front of your house, then bringing your living room wall out to suit? It would need a steel to support the upper wall over your front room, but it could make your place larger and more attractive

11. TSB

TSB New Member

From what I'm now understanding from your description above, the roof will need to come off to fix the wall plate to the inner wall. The joists now run left to right as you look at it, therefore they sit on the inner wall. These joists are in the way, so unsupported if I cut them.

12. TSB

TSB New Member

I've built a large extension on the back, which makes the house large enough. At first, I just wanted to enclose the overhang in front of the front door, but I found out that I needed planning to do that, so I thought that if I had to go to the expense of planning, I might as well get rid of the flat roof