Advice on heating a 4 bed en-suite house

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rob M19999, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Rob M19999

Rob M19999 New Member

I’m looking for some advice as I’ve had mixed recommendations by multiple plumbers/gas engineers. I have a 4 bedroom 5 bathroom house, 4 en-suites and one bathroom that is currently being fed by a new 28kw combi boiler (which also does the central heating on the first 2 floors out of 4) - I’m wanting to keep the first 2 floors as is it. I’ve been told that a 45kw boiler will provide the solution for the 4 en-suites and the 11 radiators on the top two floors of the property. I have a u6 domestic gas meter with 6m3/hr max. I’ve calculated that a 45kw+28kw boiler will come in at 6.78m3/hr which is obviously over the rating of the gas meter. Does anyone have any thoughts on what they would do? I’m going to get a gas safe engineer to do the work but with so many conflicting fixes already I’d like to see what the consensus is.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You have a few options I guess.
    How many radiators do you have?
    It may just be possible to use the combi for everything.
    You could zone the heating.
    Fit an unvented cylinder for the top 2 floors and use the combi for the kitchen and bathroom.

3. Rob M19999

Rob M19999 New Member

Hi Mike, there’s 7 doubles, 5 singles on the top 2 floors and 7 doubles on the first 2 floors,- ok great would the solution work with that amount of rads? we have had an engineer state that a 300l unvented cylinder would work for the top 2 floors.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the radiator output adds up to more than 20kw then it may not work.
    You do have several options though.
    If a boiler is massively oversized it can become less efficient.
    It’s trying to match the heating and hot water demands to the boiler output that can be difficult especially when you already have a new boiler installed.

5. Rob M19999

Rob M19999 New Member

Sounds like it’s going to be a close call with the amount of rads, 4 floors up to the top most radiators, the boiler pump may need up-rating to manage the height changes/pressure required?

thanks Mike

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I’m in a newish built property with 14 radiators, 3 en-suites and a bathroom. It will have better insulation as the radiators are smaller than usual.
    I also have a 210 (maybe more) litre unvented cylinder.
    This is all feed from a 15kw boiler and it works perfect.
    This has obviously been carefully calculated.

Rob M19999 likes this.
  7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Your mains pressure and flow needs to be checked to work out if an unvented cylinder is even an option at this stage.

8. Rob M19999

Rob M19999 New Member

Ok thanks Mike, I’ll carry out a pressure and flow test tomorrow