Advice on installing hardiebacker on stud walls

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by bairdyboy1980, Apr 29, 2020.

1. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

Help needed please!
    I need to install 12mm hardiebacker on my feature wall to support the stones tiles i want.

1. I have bought 1200 x 800 hardiebacker and unsure of the arrangement i need? I know it needs to be bricklayered but at the bottom the fireplace gets in the way to fully attach the board? The fireplace will be staying.

2. I could not find studs at the corners? How do i attach there?

The masking tape is roughly where each stud is (600mm apart)

CCE2F858-F0D2-4AA8-9540-04C1F29F1A36.jpeg

Measurement from the RHS wall to the 2nd stud in is about 1100mm

2. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

help would be appreciated

3. Hfs

Hfs Active Member

Cut holes and put your own noggins in.

4. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

Noggins At what part?

5. Hfs

Hfs Active Member

Where you want to screw the board and there isn’t any.

6. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Have you considered taking all the plasterboard down and fitting vertical studs at each end and by the fireplace with plenty of noggins to support board ends? Probably just as quick as cutting holes and messing about putting noggins in through the holes. You will also be certain that all boards are well fixed.

7. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

yeh i kind of wanted to avoid that but you are probably right!

Whats the best way/technique to add extra studs after i take the plasterboard down?

8. Hfs

Hfs Active Member

Tape measure, saw, screws and a drill driver.

Abrickie likes this.
  9. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Screw 4x2 or 3x2 (depending on what is already used) to the two side walls - you may already find some hidden ones in which case screw to those.

Around the fireplace: Put a noggin from the full height stud to the left across to the stud that stops on top of the fireplace and securely screw it to them. Fit a vertical stud from the noggin down the edge of the fireplace to the floor. Fit a noggin at floor level from the original stud to the new part height one. Repeat on the other side.

bairdyboy1980 likes this.
  10. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

Thanks for that. The only one i am not sure about is the right hand side wall does not have a stud there so how would i do that?

in the pic it shows a bit i have cut out and there is no stud at all there (its in the next room)

EF190415-DF23-4AF4-ABDE-1ADE6756D2C6.jpeg

11. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

I think i might be able to get away with leaving the plasterboard if i can figure out how to get an extra stud on the RHS

12. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Screw it to the adjacent wall and noggins to the next one in.

13. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980 Member

I'm not sure what u mean as there is no stud there. The other wall stops at the corner so there is nothing there

14. Abrickie

Abrickie Super Member

Hammer, don’t forget the hammer, you always need a hammer for delicate adjustments ;)

Hfs likes this.
  15. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Are you saying te two walls join and there is no support? Or is the other wall brickwork?