Advice on kitchen install

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Hannah Isaac, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Hannah Isaac

Hannah Isaac New Member

Hi, I have recently had a new kitchen installed and just wanted a bit of advice on whether I am being overly fussy of the work that's been done or if I'm within my rights to be unhappy with it. Since the kitchens been installed we've had to call the fitter back several times for various issues, our extractor fan fell off the wall and dented our new cooker and part of the worktop, some of the end panels were wonky, our integrated washing machine and dishwasher were not level so both move when in use, the silicone around the worktops and splashbacks was done so poorly when water hit the join in the worktop it's blown the edge of the laminate worktops. Some issues have been fixed but there are so many more we've asked him to fix but he makes excuses as to why these issues cannot be fixed due to flaws with the walls and floors in our kitchen. I will attach some pictures of things I'm still unhappy with so you can see, mainly things such as cupboard doors are all wonky leaning to one side, silcone he re-did is still completely uneven and messy, there are big gaps between the walls and cupboards, one of the cupboards sits on top of our worktop as it covers a large boiler, one of the end panels was cut too short so instead of replacing this piece he filled the gap with a huge bit of clear silicone?, The splashback is coming loose so joins are really visible, he had to cut filler pieces for the gaps either side of the cooker, these are completely wonky, damaged and not cut straight at the top so the worktop is not sitting flush. would appreciate any advice. I just want reassurance that I'm not being overly fussy and this is actually a poor job done so I can call someone else in to fix the problems! Thanks in advance ☺️

Attached Files:

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi

Small suggestion...structure your comments in a way it's easy to read, rather than 1 big block of text.

Straight away it puts people off bothering to read it and therefore offer you advice.

cybervic likes this.
  3. Hannah Isaac

Hannah Isaac New Member

I'm just looking for advice on the kitchen, you don't have to take the time to read or respond if the post is too long for you.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

That was not fitted by a kitchen fitter with any pride in his work.
    I would withhold payment until every issue you pointed out has been addressed to your satisfaction.
    It's time these cowboys had their scams exposed so they don't continue putting their customers through such stress and disappointment.

longboat and kitfit1 like this.
  5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Hard to tell with such close up shots. Maybe a few zoomed out to give a clearer picture.
    Does not look great though. You have to be careful with water though. Everything is made of chipboard & MDF so will blow pretty quick. Water damage is never covered under the supplier or installer.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

He was by far the cheapest price though compared to the other 26 quotes.

rogerk101 and kitfit1 like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Amazes me the number of recent posts asking if the standard of work is poor, the simple answer is if you are asking then you are well aware that the work is not good, many thousands of people have been made redundant during covid resulting in unskilled folks taking a chance on going alone providing poor quality workmanship with no idea how to correct their mistakes.

rogerk101 and kitfit1 like this.
  8. CosD

CosD Active Member

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I was reading this post earlier.

My mind went straight onto whether people are doing jobs they are not skilled in, especially now whilst so many are out of work.

kitfit1 likes this.
  9. Hannah Isaac

Hannah Isaac New Member

I appreciate all of the replies. This is the first time we've ever done a kitchen remodel, I was pretty certain the work wasn't good but at the same time doubt myself as some may see the faults as purely cosmetic as the kitchen functions as it should and the fitter was so confident what he'd done was fine.
    The guy we had doing the kitchen is family, so we know him and thought we could trust him...lesson learnt.

Thanks again for reassuring me I'm not just being picky.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

In that case you will know 100% if he is a full time kitchen fitter ?
    Or is he actually a handyman that may have fitted a couple of kitchen wall cabs over the years ?

Whenever a tradesman says "that's fine" genuinely believing what they have just said and you know you are looking at a disaster area.................you should realize at that point you are not in conversation with a genuine tradesman.

11. CosD

CosD Active Member

It’s very hard for a consumer who is completely naive about building or any trade they may need. Rogue tradesman are good at one thing and that is selling themselves.

it makes my blood boil and sad at the same time when I see people being ripped off. Having something like a new kitchen should be exciting and fun, all too often that’s not the case.

12. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

All I have to read is the extractor fell off the wall........................ Sorry, i'm saying no more. (ok, a little more, Lol)

This has happened recently at work, but this is in student accommodation where everything has been fitted with spiral plasterboard fixings........and fitted years ago....... Makes me roll, Lol.

I am sorry for your predicament though. Hope you can get it sorted.

13. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Dishwasher should be secured to the underside of the worktop.

14. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

A lot of good tradespeople will walk away from a bodge job, cos it just ain't worth it......

And more often than not, impossible to do much about it without ripping it out and starting again.
    Sorry.

15. CosD

CosD Active Member

And thats a different debate altogether. I can understand that also.

Unfortunately price is usually the factor. People are on a budget and a hope. Rogue tradesmen know this

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Top marks for family loyalty in these difficult times, unfortunately the standard of finish has fallen short of expectations.⛈

17. CosD

CosD Active Member

my posts were unfair being the tradesman in this case was family. Though he could have stepped back if he knew the job was beyond him!!

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

......go and get your coat :D

19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Rogue tradesmen defo know it, that's why we are seeing so much of their handywork on here of late.
    Is price really so much of a factor though ? Judging by one recent thread here, a complete cowboy was demanding £300 a day. Personally as kitchen fitter for over 30 years, it's very very rare for me to earn that, more like £250 a day on a good steady week.
    Part of the fit price issue isn't what a kitchen fitter earns, but is in fact down to what the big retailers charge for fitting. Customers have little to no idea that quite often the big retailers are putting a 50% to 100% mark up on the fitting cost. Those customers just then assume all kitchen fitters charge that, which of course we don't.
    But they then end up going to a £300 a day cowboy, as we have seen.

Mr Rusty, Max22, longboat and 2 others like this.