Advice on painting front door

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lijong Tao, May 21, 2018.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao New Member

Hello

I am in the process of sanding the front door by hand. Whoever had this house previously did an awful job on the front door. It is flaking, the undercoat shows through and it looks terrible. They didn't sand the old coat apparently and didn't even wipe the door clean and went straight over the top with black gloss

I am sanding it, then filling it with Bonda Decor Fill. I'd like a glass like finish on it. I know it is 99% prep so when I have sanded and filled with bonda what are the next steps? Is it several coats of primer then 2 of gloss with a fine sand in-between? Someone also mentioned a coat of clear lacquer at the end. The door is wooden in the centre and metal on the inside and outside, although none of the metal is showing.

I don't mind spending a little on the best products so any help on what primer, paint (black) and lacquer to use would be super. I appreciate the advice.

Grateful thanks Lijong

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Patch prime over the filled areas, sand over the primer and apply 2 undercoats using Dulux Dark Grey, again sanding between coats, wipe over with a tack cloth then apply at least 2 coats of Dulux High Gloss sanding between coats, no need for a lacquer coat.

Lijong Tao and KIAB like this.
  3. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao New Member

Thank you very much

4. Any benefit form Li doing this with the door removed and laying flat? (In a dust-free room...)

And which applicator to get the smoothest finish?

Lijong Tao likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

And using a quailty paint brush.

Lijong Tao likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Difficult one this as it’s a front door and if using solvent based Dulux high gloss (don’t actually know if this is solvent or water based paint), your looking at something like 12-16 hours drying time (since they were made to remove the nasty drying agents)

Obviously touch dry a lot sooner than that but paint will be soft underneath and depending on how tight it closes into frame, it’s rather annoying the next morning when you open the door to admire your handy work, only to find door has stuck to frame :eek:

Lijong Tao likes this.
  7. Astramax

Lijong Tao, the paint is Dulux Weathershield Trade oil base. Tip of the day..... paint gloss first thing in the morning whilst others are still in bed! joking apart at this time of year it is good drying weather.

CGN and Lijong Tao like this.
  8. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao New Member

So I've removed the 4 layers of paint. Sanded. Used Bondo and sanded etc etc etc.

I've bought Dulux Trade Weathershield Undercoat and gloss (thanks for the tip, brilliant coverage) but I have a small problem. Around the window on the door there a moulding that's obviously had some kind of sealant to stop water getting behind it where the double glazed window fits into the door. I have just primed and before I undercoat I need to know what I can apply around the window.

The door is going to be black so I cannot use a white sealant, I imagine caulk will crack as it's externally so what do I use that won't stick out on a black door that's weather-proof? I don't suppose they do a paintable black sealant, do they?

9. Astramax

The sealer used is probably a silicon sealant, paint does not stick at all well to that so cut it out with a Stanley knife and use a product called Frame Sealant it is available in white or brown but the great thing with this sealant is it can be painted over.

Lijong Tao likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

11. Astramax

Lijong Tao, KIAB and blarblarblarblar like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Also Fosroc Nitoseal MS60 Paintable Mastic Sealant & Dow Corning / Geocel 201 Polysulphide Sealant both in black & over paintable.[​IMG]

Lijong Tao likes this.
  13. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao New Member

Thank you very much